AutoRun feature or AutoPlay will not work

vjv 16:19 25 Mar 2006

Hi can someone help me pse. Up until about 2 months ago everything was OK on my computer which is operating on Windows 98SE. I used Easy CD Creator 5 Basic to copy some files for back up purposes. Sometime afetr this I went to use a Cover disc from the magazine and it would not load. The machine 'ran' the disc but nothing came up on the screen. I can get into the disc by going through My Computer and accessing the DVD/CD drive which is E on my computer. I tried looking on the Microsoft Knowledge Base but can only find a possible fix for this problem in relation to Windows XP ( Q330135 ). I would really appreciate any help or advice
Regards
Peter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 25 Mar 2006

Right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties.
Choose the Device Manager tab.
Open the CD-ROM branch, and select the entry for your CD-ROM drive.
Click Properties, and then choose the Settings tab.
Turn on the Auto insert notification option.
Click OK, and then OK again. You'll have to restart Windows for this
change to take effect.

It is possible you have Autoinsert on but AutoRun off for both data
and audio.
Use TweakUI and you can alter these individually.

Tweak UI 1.33 for Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Millennium
Edition, Windows 98 or Windows 95.
Details at: (may wrap)
click here.
Download at:
click here

(of course, not all CD Roms have an autorun feature)

vjv 16:25 26 Mar 2006

Many thanks for you assistance. The Auto insert notification is turned on. I forgot to mention that when I pop an audio cd or a DVD into the DVD?DC drive then both those will start and work OK. Audio using WMP and DVD films using Power DVD. It is only the CD's provided by the Magazine that will not run, ie will not bring up the interface so that I can see at a glance what is available and for easy installtion etc. I did try to download the Tweak UI from your message but it was not possible.
Regards

SANTOS7 16:38 26 Mar 2006

click here
this may help....

bukwurm 17:48 26 Mar 2006

Look on the Microsoft download site for: Autofix.exe, this is Microsoft's fix for repairing autoplay.

bukwurm 21:17 26 Mar 2006

Sorry, just realised you are running Windows 98SE, (memo to me: must read letters more carefully before pressing response button)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?