Autoplay keeps starting by itself - over and over

CLONNEN 06:42 17 Jul 2004

The Autoplay has suddenly started popping up on my screen for no reason. There are no discs in either the cdrw drive or the dvd-rom drive or in the floppy drive. My external hard drive is switched off. How can I find out what is causing the Autoplay to start up and how can I turn it off.

My computer wasn't doing this Autoplay nonsense yesterday.

Is it a virus?

I did receive a couple of dodgy emails yesterday evening but I did not open them up I just deleted them.

My AVG antivirus picked up the infected attachments and put them into the Virus Vault.

If I do a System Restore to yesterday morning before I checked my email would this problem go away or would it still be lurking somewhere?

CLONNEN 06:46 17 Jul 2004

The Autoplay starts up runs for about 30 seconds then closes and then immediately starts again. It doesn't seem to actually be trying to run anything as far as I can tell. Well nothing is happening that I haven't clicked on anyway.

It must be in my StartUp Menu somewhere I reckon because it started as soon as I turned my computer on before I actually selected anything.

CLONNEN 06:53 17 Jul 2004

I have just run Msconfig and there are some entries that I do not recognise :

IMJPMIG - D:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration 32

TINTSETP - D:\Windows\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC

What are they and how did they get on my computer? Are they the cause of the Autoplay annoyance?

CLONNEN 06:55 17 Jul 2004

Just to let you know that I have downloaded and run the latest AVG antivirus updates but according to AVG there is no virus on my computer.

CLONNEN 18:31 19 Jul 2004

Deselected the IMJPMIG and TINTSETP in the StartUp list in MSCONFIG and guess what the AutoPlay annoyance is gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?