Automatically turn on/off ASDL connection.

flester 10:31 24 Nov 2005

Got an ASDL broadband connection which has a limit of 20 hours per month.

With my previous dial-up connection I could configure it to automatically dial up when I opened Internet Explorer and to disconnect when I closed it.

Is there a way of doing the same with the ASDL connection? It seems to be connected whenever the computer is booted up - which means I'll soon exceed the 20 hour limit unless I remember to disable the connection manually.

System details:
Dell Inspiron 8100 running Windows 2000 professional.

Netopia 3300Series USb Network Adapter connection connected through USB port (Not working via Ethernet but that's another story)

ISP is Ireland's semi-state owned Eircom (click here)

ACOLYTE 11:15 24 Nov 2005

Check in start/all programs/start,and see if the connection is in there if it is right click and send it to the desktop then delete the short cut fron there,that should stop it connecting at boot.
To have it turn on and off go into IE properties/connections click the settings/ advanced then tick disconect when conection may no longer be needed.

flester 12:12 24 Nov 2005

will try when I get home

Stuartli 12:20 24 Nov 2005

>>limit of 20 hours per month>>

That's a new one on me....:-)

Some dialup services are between certain hours or so many hours (in a month), but I've not come across a BB service being restricted hours wise.

flester 12:26 24 Nov 2005

It's 20 hrs per month for a fixed monthly fee about of about €20. Then it's €0.04 per minute if you go over the 20 hrs (to a maximum of €30). A Euro is about GB£0.68 today. They reserve the right to make you change to an 'always-on' connection if you consistently exceed the 20 hrs.

Stuartli 16:13 24 Nov 2005

It would drive me mad...:-)

flester 16:47 24 Nov 2005

Might end up going with an 'Always On' connection in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?