Automatically shift cells below a table down as the table grows

Leepaci 15:33 28 Dec 2011

I have a word document(2010) that contains a table and as I type in said table, it gradually grows and the data below it moves down the page. I am trying to do this in Excel (2010) but as the table grows down the page, the cells below it just get overwritten rather than shifted down.

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this??

Woolwell 15:51 28 Dec 2011

Excel is a spreadsheet not a table and you have to insert extra rows. See this

compumac 16:55 28 Dec 2011

You say it is a Word document with a table contained within it, then how are you using Excel to insert into that table contained within a Word document?

compumac 16:55 28 Dec 2011

You say it is a Word document with a table contained within it, then how are you using Excel to insert into that table contained within a Word document?

compumac 16:57 28 Dec 2011

I have a bad stutter today after Christmas

Leepaci 17:12 28 Dec 2011

CompuMac, I didn't make myself very clear. I have a Word document that works fine in that way; a table within the doument that grows and pushes the text below it further down the page. I am now trying to recreate the same kind of form in Excel 2010. The two documents aren't linked in any way.

Woolwell 17:25 28 Dec 2011

Leepaci - Excel works differently as you have found. You have to insert extra rows for the new lines of data. They do not automatically move down. See my previous link.

BRYNIT 19:25 28 Dec 2011

If I'm right you want the text to create another line as it gets to the end of the cell pushing the other cells down.

If you right click on the cell or the whole sheet and select format cells/alignment/text wrap.

Leepaci 15:49 29 Dec 2011

BRYNIT, that's exactly what I need to do! I'll have a play about and let you if it works for me. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone