automatic updates and SP3

sputnick 18:18 17 Sep 2008

I have a desktop pc and a laptop running Windows XP.
With AU set to download but not install I used to get a yellow shield when updates were available.
Now I don`t. just an icon on shutdown telling me that updates will be installed.
Whats happened.
On my laptop I still get the shield and wants to install SP3, but SP3 has never been an option on the desktop.

Any suggestions.

sputnick 15:14 18 Sep 2008

Further to last post it appears that Windows XP does not try to load SP3 if you have an AMD cpu.
It took a lot of searching Microsoft files to find.

crosstrainer 15:32 18 Sep 2008

It's only certain AMD cpu's, I have sp3 installed on my amd desktop (xp pro) and lappy (xp media MCE)

Most of the original problems have now been fixed, but if you are not being offered it, then your hardware issues have yet to be resolved.

My socket 939 AMD 5200+ dual core Is fine, as is my Turion based laptop. It's not alway's the cpu, can be the motherboard drivers too. What is your spec?

sputnick 10:31 21 Sep 2008

Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2Ghz Ram
2 x hard drives 160Ghz each

provider 2 10:51 21 Sep 2008

HP suggests an Ms SP3 upgrade utility if you hit an error warning while installing on a machine with AMD:

click here

provider 2 11:06 21 Sep 2008

Ms`s explanation:

Most computers include an image that the manufacturer created by using the System Preparation (Sysprep) tool. Sysprep lets the computer manufacturer generate an image that can be used on different computers. The problem that is described in the "Symptoms" section may occur if the original Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) Sysprep image is created on an Intel-processor-based computer and if the Sysprep image is then deployed on a non-Intel-processor-based computer. Under this configuration, after the computer is upgraded to Windows XP SP2 or SP3, the Intel processor driver (Intelppm.sys) may try to load because an orphaned registry key remains from the original Sysprep image.

This issue may also occur if the original Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 Sysprep image is created on an Intel-processor-based computer and if it is then deployed onto a non-Intel-processor-based computer. Again, the Intel processor driver (Intelppm.sys) may try to load because an orphaned registry key remains from the original Sysprep image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017