Automatic updates fail to boot

sputnick 21:17 18 Nov 2005

I am always having problems if I allow Microsoft Automatic updates. My PC goes into an endless boot loop if I do these updates. I should have learnt by now.
I have to re-install Windows each time I do this.
I can`t even get into safe mode to do a system restore.
The last update I did today I looked at all the update files first (not that it meant much to me )before I installed them.
Any suggestions please or should I just turn off automatic updates permanently.
I thought they were supposed to be safe.

phono 22:06 18 Nov 2005

I always like to know what is being installed on my PC so Auto updates are turned off, always make a restore point before doing any updates, it may make life a lot easier.

sputnick 22:21 18 Nov 2005

Thanks, normally I do have A U turned off.
Also in this case I couldn`t even get into windows by any means to get to my resore points.

phono 23:04 18 Nov 2005

Something is obviously wrong with your windows installation, I would suggest a full virus and adware/malware scan. If that does not "cure" your problems I would suggest a full reinstall. I have to admit it is a painful option but, in the long run, it is well worth it.

sputnick 11:38 24 Dec 2005

Since my last post I have found that my version of Windows XP pro was not genuine.
I purchased a new license key from Microsoft but it would not let me install as there was a file missing.
A couple of weeks later I received the new Windows CD from Microsoft but it would not let me update or repair as certain files were missing.
As a last resort I did a clean install and since then I have had no problems.
Microsoft updates install with no problems.
The cost of the new key and CD was £92, a lot less than a retail version of Windows XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires