automatic update windows advisor- how to cancel

end 11:46 07 Sep 2004

win 98se IE6
on lap-top have I think "enabled" this option at the update site, but, having read another thread, perhaps need to remove this choice, and do the thing manually;
however, cannot see anywhere on the site how to "unauthorise" the "update advisor" thing.

apparently it is supposed to tell me if/when an update is available and "go for it"....however, how can I reverse my decision? as cannot see anywhere on the site to do this..tas

Pesala 11:49 07 Sep 2004

Browsing section, third item, "Automatically check for updates." (Uncheck this item).

end 11:55 07 Sep 2004

cant yet find "internet explorer options"....clues please?

Shas 12:07 07 Sep 2004

In IE: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, under Browsing uncheck Automatically Check for IE updates.

keith-236785 12:08 07 Sep 2004

on windows98, it is on the view menu tab, click view and at the bottom of the drop down list is "internet options", click that and take a look around, I am now on xp and cant remember the exact wording, so have a look or wait for someone who may still be on win98 to give you the exact info.

on winxp, it is under the advanced tab/Browing, but not sure about win98

woodt 12:34 07 Sep 2004

are you refering to 'Windows Updates', in which case , for WInXP, the settings can be found in the control panel.

end 21:53 07 Sep 2004

I am refering TO windows updates; and saw the feature on the site last time I was there; but I"ll be dammed if I can find it again; looked for about 5 minutes earleier today with no luck; N.B. as stated, am on Win 98se and NOT one of the "newer generation" of things....

anyone out there on win 98se and able to point the direcdtion to the address for the thing....am convinced it iS on the site somewhere, but where.....

Pesala 22:00 07 Sep 2004

Not on the Update Site. In Windows ME, which is not much different to 98SE, it is Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Browsing, and uncheck "Automatically check for Internet Explorer Updates."

This is one reason why I don't much like IE. The update website changes settings on your PC for you, which is fine if you understand what it is doing, but not so good if you do not.

VoG II 22:06 07 Sep 2004

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Add/Remove Programs.

Click Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification.

Click Add/Remove.

end 22:07 07 Sep 2004

I agree that I do not like things being changed on my PC without my knowing or having some control over them ; it is chaotic for me at the best of times , so "unwanted " intrusions are definitly a "no no"....

Pesala 22:53 07 Sep 2004

Vog™ I don't see that Option in Windows ME

End. Did you find the option yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?