Automatic software/driver update program?

Shortstop 11:03 06 Jan 2006

Hi,

Eons ago [!] I had a nifty piece of software on my old, old PC that would advise any programs or drivers that had updates available and offer to download/install for me.

Although there was no point in a lot of program updates as the additional functionality was not a must have, the driver updates could prove useful.

Is there any software [prefereably free on this occassion] that will do this?

TIA

Paul

Shortstop 13:23 06 Jan 2006

^BUMP^

VoG II 13:24 06 Jan 2006

Was it BigFix click here

Shortstop 13:44 06 Jan 2006

No, sorry.

This program would scan the hard drive automatically monthly and look at a centralised database. You would then be advised that the following programs have been updated from version x.x to y.y and/or that the following drivers have been updated. You then clicked on an 'update and install' button & the software would download & update your selection - with you choosing 'ignore' for the other downloads.

I had it about 2 years ago .....

Thanks,

Paul

Stuartli 14:23 06 Jan 2006

You might be thinking of Driver Detective.

Granger 14:56 06 Jan 2006

Is this recommended? I never check for updates so this might be a good idea?

sunny staines 16:24 06 Jan 2006

cnet used to run a good free program like you describe but is long since dead now.

mattyc_92 16:28 06 Jan 2006

You don't have to....
I only look for updates for my security software (like anti-virus databases or new versions of the program itself). I never check for driver updates, unless I am having problems.

As for the rest of my programs (like Nero), I just don't bother unless, like the drivers, I am having problems or there is a new function that sounds useful...

Shortstop 22:45 06 Jan 2006

sunny staines - that's the one! Oh well, never mind, it was just an idea - a bit like auto updates on Antivirus packages [keeps the bits smooth].

Granger - to respond to your question, the program was good as you could evaluate updates and decide if you wanted the program [buy or free trial [if the updates were of interest you went for it, if not you ignored it] and the driver update would often solve conflicts you were aware of but thought it was just a limitation of the software os a niggling glitch.

Now ticked as closed, but thanks to everyone for their input.

BR

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?