Automatic shut down!

xoc 22:09 19 Mar 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to enable/setup the automatic shut down of a laptop after a given time from switch on!
Is there a built in internal timer which I could preset or a download I could use to do this?
The laptop is an IBM 570 with ultrabase, with xp+sp2 os.

wbiggchiefy 22:24 19 Mar 2006

Simplest would be to use the power options in control panel - but this will only shut the laptop down at the selected interval after the keyboard was last used - but its there already and doesn't cost anything.

Incidentally why do you want the laptop to shut down automatically at after a given time?

wbiggchiefy 22:24 19 Mar 2006

Simplest would be to use the power options in control panel - but this will only shut the laptop down at the selected interval after the keyboard was last used - but its there already and doesn't cost anything.

Incidentally why do you want the laptop to shut down automatically at after a given time?

powerless 22:25 19 Mar 2006

Well there is:

shutdown -s -t 3600

Which would shutdown the laptop after an hour or whatever time you specify.

xoc 01:08 20 Mar 2006

wbiggchiefy
Thanks, am aware of that but to answer your query, A family member has become addicted to playing Bridge at night! so am looking for a means of allowing say 2 hours before turnoff! and switching off the power supply doesn't help as the laptop battery will run for two hours!

Powerless
Again thanks for that! but it is not clear to me how this can be set up! and where! Is it something like control-alt-del?

powerless 10:19 20 Mar 2006

You run it from the Run command on the start menu.

BUT! your additional info in your second post would make that 'tricky'.

So click here

Although I'm sure there are more user friendly applications out there.

xoc 22:15 18 Feb 2007

Thanks to all who tried to help on this!
To those interested I found the solution here!
click here together with other very useful downloads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017