Automatic powerdown no longer working

TrustNoone 11:18 07 Dec 2004

The Pavilion 774 bought March 2003 no longer turns itself off when shutting down, nor does it go into standby mode. Rather, I am left staring at a blu screen with "Windows is shutting down" or "Windows is standing by".

THe HDD seems to try and power itself down and there is the squeaky sound I have come to associate with switching off, but the activity does not complete.

What is going on? How can this be fixed? Is it a critical thing to fix - still inside 2 year warranty (from John Lewis)?

Thanks

Gongoozler 11:30 07 Dec 2004

There are a few things that can cause this problem, mostly software related, including Norton AV checking the floppy drive at shutdown. Have a look at this site and see if any of the ideas there help click here

TrustNoone 08:47 08 Dec 2004

Thank you for the link. Several issues to consider now:
I have changed the HDD partition to NTFS on second disk;
I have installed NIS 2005.

Looks as if some serious troubleshooting will be required during my Xmas break - if not sooner!

TrustNoone 16:05 08 Dec 2004

Well, I disabled Norton GoBack 4.0 and my computer shutsdown normally now, and goes into standby normally too. I have to HDD, both formatted to NTFS.

I shall not proceed to the other possible fixes, but does anyone understand why Norton GoBack caused this problem?

The symantec(click here)website is not very helpful, but I may be asking the wrong question of the "knowledge base".

Gongoozler 18:06 08 Dec 2004

Norton AntiVirus gives problems because by default it checks the floppy drive on exit, so if there is no disk in the drive it hangs. Perhaps GoBack has a similar function.

Gongoozler 09:22 09 Dec 2004

Good to see that you've solved the problem. What was the cause?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?