Auto updates for Windows XP

Yimbo 16:42 05 Aug 2013

I used to get regular notice of updates from M/S, but over the last few months this has seemingly stopped. I'm still set up to receive these, but it's not happening. Is XP Homes SP3 still being supported?

Secret-Squirrel 17:28 05 Aug 2013

If you want to check whether you're missing any important XP updates then you can visit the Microsoft Windows Update website - here and check if it shows any available "High Priority" ones.

lotvic 17:41 05 Aug 2013

I'm still getting mine every month (MS update Tuesday) for XP sp3. Have got settings to notify only, then I choose which I want and install.

woodchip 17:56 05 Aug 2013

Go to Start button then up to Windows Updates to do it manually

Click on Custom when it starts

Yimbo 12:42 07 Aug 2013

Thanks for your help folks! Using your link, Secret-Squirrel, I'm taken to MS update page. I then keep getting the message: "The web-site has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view"

I've found this same message previously - but no indication as to what the problem "encountered" might be.

I have "Auto downloads" already set up - but though clearly a number of updates have been made available - as per lotvic's post - they are not getting to me!

Also, woodchip, pressing "start" button doesn't show me how to go "up to Windows Updates". Where am I going wrong?

Sorry to bother you all further!

Secret-Squirrel 15:44 07 Aug 2013

Yimbo, because you're not receiving any Windows Updates, there's clearly something wrong so try the "Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter" at the top of the page here.

PS: Woodchip's suggestion just takes you to the same Windows Update website that I recommended so there's no point in trying to find it.

1]: [click here

Yimbo 18:11 07 Aug 2013

Thanks Secret-Squirrel - - I've tried your link, which takes me to "Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter". Clicking "run now" takes me to "WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab" - but clicking this brings up "Windows cannot recognise this file ..."

If Windows can't recognise one of its own files - where do I go now????

I apologise for keeping bothering you!

lotvic 18:34 07 Aug 2013

Just for the record: The last automatic updates 'big lot' I had was on 10th July (10 for xp and some more for Office and Silverlight)

The manual Windows Update shortcut link is on Start | All Programs, and it is at top of program list. And as per Secret-Squirrel says, it takes you to the same page as he's posted link.

lotvic 18:39 07 Aug 2013

Here is the rest of my post ;-o I am getting fed up of pca randomly chopping off the bottom bits of my posts...

I note that when I tried Start shortcut out it opened in IE (although Firefox is my default - and was already running)

When in FFox and I use SS's link in his post I get this: 'Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site. To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.' (end of post if you see this it has all posted this time)

Secret-Squirrel 19:05 07 Aug 2013

Yimbo, I just tried the troubleshooter link on an XP PC and got the same result as you - Windows doesn't know what to do with that file.

Try this Microsoft page instead, click on the + symbol next to "Windows Vista and Windows XP" and run the automated troubleshooter by clicking the "Run Now" button. The file that's downloaded is a standard .EXE so you should have no problems with it.

Good luck.

1]: [click here

Yimbo 11:56 08 Aug 2013

Thanks folks for your perseverance! I've tried your link, Secret-Squirrel, and though it promises to fix the problems with Windows Update - what I get is "one or more Windows Update comonents are configured incorrectly" - but no help in actually fixing these!

Using your advice, lotvic, I get the same result!

Maybe I'll just have to live without the XP updates - though I find it hard to believe that an issue like this can't be sorted!

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?