Auto reply to rec'd emails

mak2 00:45 31 Jul 2004

How can I setup Outlook Express to reply to my received emails while I'm on holiday

Djohn 00:50 31 Jul 2004

Tools/options/receipts and place a dot in the circle "Always send a receipt". This will send a basic received message to all your in-box replies.

mak2 21:36 01 Aug 2004

I've seen this option but I want to send reply saying I'm away.

FREDINGTON 21:56 01 Aug 2004

Tools/Message Rules/Mail/New Mail Rule/For all messages/Reply With Message/Point to the message you want to return.

kp 22:59 01 Aug 2004

Two points regarding the auto-reply. Firstly, you will need to leave your PC on whilst away with your e-mail program open. Secondly, you will automatically reply to any spam, informing the sender that your e-mail address is active and therefore, encouraging more spam.

kp

mak2 23:37 01 Aug 2004

Thank you Fredington for the your help and thank you kp for pointing out the downside.

temp003 09:01 02 Aug 2004

Some ISPs can send auto-replies for you from their own servers, so that you don't need to keep your computer on. You'll have to check with your own ISP and their website.

But remember kp's caveat about replying to spam.

Stuartli 09:11 02 Aug 2004

Why not just send a short message to those who need to be informed that you will be away for a particular period?

Only involves one e-mail containing the required receipients' e-mail addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?