auto protect error 3E8

Libby07 19:02 27 Jun 2008

I recently bought my first laptop - vista installed, i signed up to the norton 90 day offer and at first all was well. Now however, every time i turn the laptop on, a window re installing upgrades appears (i thought this was set to happen automatically) anyway i install the upgrades and then my auto protect disappears.

i go to the symantech live help chat room and a technician fixes this for me and auto protect comes back - until the next time i turn on my laptop and the upgrade window appears and i upgrade (it gets stuck for a while on start up repair) and then after configuring the upgrades my auto protect is off again!!

This has been how i have spent the last 7 evenings! As you can tell i have just come out of the symantech live chat room and am currently in an "on" time; so i'm making the most of this and posting this in the hope that someone out there can help.

i have absolutely no idea what is going on or what to do to resolve this - i'd be really grateful for any advice and will try and respond asap (as i have seen in the rules, it is advised to do) but if my autoprotect is off next time i turn the laptop on, it could be a matter of days before i can steel myself for another session in the symantech chat room; helpful though they are

many thanks

Lib

brundle 19:17 27 Jun 2008

If you're still in your trial period ditch Norton and install some of the excellent free security software that's available. If you've paid, that's a different matter.

This post by skidzy is very informative; click here

I would choose Avast over AVG.

I ditched the 90 day Norton trial on the laptop I'm using after a week or so, it refused to scan more than 4 files and kept nagging me that a scan was required...which only scanned 4 files...so it nagged...etc etc

Libby07 11:44 28 Jun 2008

Thanks for this Brundle!

I am still on a trial with norton and have been sort of coming to the conclusion that i should ditch them and look elsewhere for security software, Though i have actually managed to log on this morning and the autoprotect is still on!

Anyway i will investigate your advice over the weekend and let you know if it sorts it!

I am a real novice to computers - should i uninstall norton before trying to install something else or the other way around?

many thanks again

Lib

brundle 12:45 28 Jun 2008

If you choose to replace Norton, download your chosen anti-virus product before uninstalling Norton, disconnect from the internet, uninstall Norton, reboot, install the new AV, reconnect to the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?