Auto e mail response!

TonyV 15:02 06 Jun 2005

I think there is a way of setting up an automatic e mail response letting people know that we are going to be away for a period of time.

What I am looking for is an automatic response that comes into being when an e mail is received in the inbox, and it will automatically respond with a message like:- "We are sorry, but A & B are away at the moment and will not be available until 15 June 2005. We will get back to you then!"

Is there any simple way of doing this? It must be similar to the "Away from the Office" message that comes through occasionally.

Thanks

TonyV

DieSse 15:04 06 Jun 2005

If this is your home, I'd be a bit wary of letting just anyone know you're away.

DieSse 15:05 06 Jun 2005

PS - unless you can do it directly from your mail server, then you will have to leave your PC on insurance?? - cost!! - power cuts??

TonyV 15:09 06 Jun 2005

It is from home, but it is also a small business place and it would be good to let people know that we are away. I suppose the only other method is to send a Round Robin e mail to the relevant addresses in the Address book. As you say, I am a little worried about letting the world and his wife know that we will be away and thereby negating any insurance cover!

Cheers

TonyV

DieSse 15:12 06 Jun 2005

Why not keep in touch with your email while you're away?

Most ISPs offer web mail, where you can go into any internet cafe, or friends house - go to your ISPs site, and do your mail from there.

If you're a small business it also helps keep you in touch, for just a few minutes a day.

TonyV 15:16 06 Jun 2005

Certainly it is possible, though we are going over to Italy for 6 days and we intended to be getting away from most modern technology and don't think there will be many Internet Cafe's where will be!! I take your point though.

TonyV

TonyV 15:16 06 Jun 2005

Certainly it is possible, though we are going over to Italy for 6 days and we intended to be getting away from most modern technology and don't think there will be many Internet Cafe's where will be!! I take your point though.

TonyV

TonyV 15:17 06 Jun 2005

Sorry about, I've obviously got itchy fingers!!
TonyV

VoG II 16:04 06 Jun 2005
  Belatucadrus 16:09 06 Jun 2005

What e-mail program are you using ?

pj123 16:10 06 Jun 2005

I don't think I would like to let everyone know that I am away for a week or two. That would be like pinning a notice on your front door saying:

Sorry we are away until such and such a date. Please feel free to break in and take whatever you like.

Even sending a Round Robin may be dodgy.

When my friend (who has a business in the UK and in Germany) goes away I generally look after his emails for him. If I think they need an immediate response I normally email them back saying: Thank you for your email. This is being dealt with and we will respond as soon as possible.

Nothing about being away for a period of time and when we will be back.

Do you not have a neighbour, friend, member of family who could do the same for you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie