Auto Date in E-Mail Subject in Outlook 2003

si_gone 15:04 04 Sep 2007

A number of years ago, my work PC had a button on the Outlook e-mail menu bar that, when selected, placed the current date/time (yyyymmdd_hh.ss) and a set "Authorised Mail:" phrase in the e-mail subject window. This saved typing the date, time and phrase in EVERY email sent. Is this done with a VB macro (with which I'm only vaguely familiar) or is it available as a function of Outlook? Any help greatly appreciated!!

Clapton is God 16:52 04 Sep 2007

Not really sure what you're trying to do.

But any e-mail client (and certainly Outlook and Outlook Express) automatically inserts the date and time when you send an e-mail and that info can be seen by the recipient.

Try sending an e-mail to yourself to check if that's what you want.

si_gone 19:18 04 Sep 2007

Whenever we send an e-mail from work, the subject has to be a certain format. It has to have yyyymmdd_hh.mm at the start, the words "Release-Authorised:" next, if the e-mail is going outside the company intranet, then the subject. It is company policy - the date for ease of filing and the authorisation to get over the intranet/internet gateway. Does that explain things a little better?

Clapton is God 19:26 04 Sep 2007

Are you sure that all this rinky-dinky stuff isn't being added at server level?

I've worked in companies where certain company-related information (address, phone number, fax number, etc) is added at server level for e-mails which are 'leaving the building', as it where.

Where are you trying to duplicate these add-ons - at home or at work?

si_gone 20:49 05 Sep 2007

Definitely not at the server level. I seem to remember an e-mail coming round from our IT department telling everyone how to do it. You had to run a small routine, jig and poke about a bit and Robert was your proverbial aunties husband.
I'm sure it was dead simple....but obviously not THAT simple!!

JimmyFixIt 20:56 05 Sep 2007

I would get someone senior to have serious words with the IT Manager if I were you. I've never heard anything so stupid in all my life.

Woolwell 21:08 05 Sep 2007

I suspect that it was an add-in for Outlook with assigned hotkeys something like click here

si_gone 08:19 05 Oct 2007

Thanks everyone. Still not resolved, but giving up now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?