Authorisation code for domain transfer

Gingermum 14:59 24 May 2006

I run a web site and wish to transfer to another host. The new host tells me I need an authorisation code from the current host to transfer the .org domain name. The current host says he has asked for one from 123Reg but they don't respond. I've contacted 123Reg directly and they don't respond to me either. In the meantime, my current host has put all details, registrant and admin, in my name.
Can someone please explain what is happening and what I need to do. I've transferred domains before but never needed and authorisation code.

Forum Editor 18:22 24 May 2006

(or a .biz, .info, or .cn name) it's true that you need a domain name transfer authorisation code.

This code was actually generated at the time you first registered the name, and what you must do to obtain it is ask the registrar. Without the code you will not be able to make the transfer, so the registrar is your only way forward.

Gingermum 07:28 26 May 2006

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, although I have now contacted 123Reg 3 times over the last week, I have not had a single response of any kind. It seems they want me to make an expensive phone call on an 0900 number, which could be a bit difficult as I live in Belgium!

Gingermum 15:54 26 May 2006

I have tried phoning today, but the number is an 0900. I live in Belgium and we can't access 0900 numbers from outside the UK. This is stupidly frustrating.

PurplePenny 20:21 26 May 2006

I just did a search for 123reg on saynoto0870. com (click here). They list 123reg under Pipex and offer this alternative number: 0115 9170000

Gingermum 07:18 27 May 2006

Thanks for doing the search. I'll make a note for future reference.
In the end, my husband was in the UK on Friday and I asked him to ring them on the 0900 number. Half an hour later I got my code!
It shouldn't have been necessary though. They said they were 5 days behind with their email. Well, it's more than that!

PurplePenny 18:13 28 May 2006

They need to employ more support staff!

"Thanks for doing the search" - I'm a librarian... just try and *stop* me doing a search :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?