Authentication problem with BT mini wi-fi 500 home hotspot

Chillie 14:21 21 Dec 2014
Answered

Seeking some advice on wireless connection problems. Both my Samsung Ace 4 Mobile and Tab S tablet connect wirelessly when within range of the BT Homehub 3. Yet both fail to connect via the BT mini wi-fi 500 powerline with the 'Authentication error occurred'. My Ace 2 phone fails to obtain an IP address. Yet in all cases the signal strength is excellent. Have tried Google but no success.

Any advice/solutions will be greatly appreciated.

spuds 14:58 21 Dec 2014

Doesn't seem to be very much about this product regarding problems, but there is some information via BT support. click here Failing that, you could contact BT support direct for any help and advice.

northumbria61 17:48 21 Dec 2014

Are you sure you are entering the correct wireless password/key ?

Ian in Northampton 18:32 21 Dec 2014

... and, further to what Northumbria61 said, keys can be case-sensitive...

Chillie 12:22 22 Dec 2014
Answer

Many thanks to all who responded so promptly. This morning decided to put on my Sherlock hat and investigate. Checked that wireless key was entered correctly -OK. Having spoken to BT who suggested reversing the ethernet cable, tried it and the main extender promptly produced the 3 lights, but no connection for the 2 mini extenders. Problem solved by moving 1 mini to another socket and all is well.

You may hear from me again when I try to connect, via Ethernet, the Smart TV to extender.

Thank you and do have a Merry Christmas

Chillie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?