Auslogics Disk Defrag problem

User-1BD6D3E1-0CC3-49F6-BF40FF97E4E996B4 12:26 20 Aug 2009

Having analyzed my C drive before defragmenting the status on my drive came up with low disk fragmentation (21%). I then did a defragmentation, it total there was around 364 fragments and it stated that it defragmented all but 9 because those 9 were locked. There were no red squares, I clicked on detailed report and it stated it reduced fragmentation by only 1% making the drive 20% fragmented still. I analyzed the C drive again and sure enough the status was low disk fragmentation (20%) and the red square were back like there were when I first analyzed the C drive.

Although is says low disk fragmentation, I myself find 20% rather high, after all windows used to advise you to defrag the drive if over 10% fragmented.

It seems this software is not actually defragmenting my drive even though it claims to have defragmented all but 9 of the fragments, if it did then surely it would have been less then 20% and it would have had less red squares and more blue. Why does it skip locked files anyway?

Anyone else had this problem with this software?

Stuartli 12:40 20 Aug 2009

I've just run Auslogics Defrag before doing a backup - it's eight days since I last did so and the result was that the defragmentation necessary amounted to only one per cent (plenty of red squares as well, due to YouTube downloading).

This is average and the most I've ever had is three per cent.

I presume you are only defragmenting the drive(s) required?

Stuartli 12:47 20 Aug 2009

New version now out:

click here

sunnystaines 13:15 20 Aug 2009

plenty of other defrags around from iobit, jkdefrag, defraggler.

i use the jk defrag recommended by readers on the forum here.

maghemite 16:29 21 Aug 2009

If it's not defragging fully, then it could be due to system files or other locked files.
You can try the free trial version of Diskeeper 2009; it's an excellent utility and I use the full version. It's automatic, defrags all the files including system files (boot-time defrag), in low space etc.
click here has the trial version; it works exactly like the full one except that it's valid only for 30 days.

GaT7 16:35 21 Aug 2009

MyDefrag click here - formerly JKDefrag. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017