-AUMagic requests access to internet; what is it?

doublefive 09:45 10 Dec 2003

In the last seven days Zone Alarm has popped up a message twice that -AUMagic has requested access to the internet. I blocked it naturally but I cannot trace this programme/file/folder on my system and my antivirus online gives me the allclear with no Trojans or potentially unwanted programmes. Can anyone identify what this relates to please?
Thanks.
doublefive

smegs 09:56 10 Dec 2003

click here Don't know if this will answer Ur question

plsndrs3 10:18 10 Dec 2003

It's Spyware - do you have Adaware or Spybot S&D

doublefive 20:42 10 Dec 2003

smegs, thanks for the reply; looking at the postings the opinion seems to be running Win ME which I am, and having recently upgraded Zone Alarm to v 4.5.530.000, which I have, has triggered this alarm. They feel its a bug in the ZA programme which may somehow involve the auto update feature for Windows. My auto update feature is and always has been disabled. They are awaiting comment from ZA!

plsndrs3, thanks for your reply. I do not have Adware or Spybot S&D installed but I think it is on a disc I have somewhere so I might give it a go but as the contributors on the ZA site could not find it and believe it to be this bug, can you let us know how to find it so I can work on a translation and take it further.
Thanks.
Doublefive

johnem 21:11 10 Dec 2003

Thanks doublefive for the info, I also am running ME with ZA 4.5.530.000 and have notice the same pop up. IO Am not running Spybot S & d at the moment, but have a copy somewhere.
Waiting for the next update.

plsndrs3 21:20 10 Dec 2003

Can I heck! But here is a better version

click here=

Note that Zone Alarm itself was onsidred as a culprit, together with Microsoft et al. The important posting is 6/12 when the blighter was identified.

Regards,

Paul

plsndrs3 21:27 10 Dec 2003

click here

Bonne chance!

doublefive 10:07 11 Dec 2003

Thanks plsndrs3 for the info. My french teacher has a lot to answer for but they also seem to be saying it is linked to Microsoft auto update. Your other link for Jeeves confirms another forum thread about this and again auto update is implicated; also I found a posting from someone who has used Adaware or Spybot S&D and it came up with no trace. I think your comment about the posting at ZA for 6.12.03 is worth a try so I have deleted the block on my firewall and will await the next alarm. We shall see; and I will post any result.

Regards.

doublefive.

doublefive 21:01 17 Dec 2003

-AUMagic requested access at 14.30 GMT today 17/12/03 having been quiet for the last 7 days. Zone Alarm could not tell me what it was but identified the Primary DNS as 194.168.4.100 which led me to click here and as it is ntl which provide my internet access it is likely to be a simple programme that checks if I still have the same internet address. I had denied it access again and tracked 63 further requests before it gave up. It would seem then that this is not a Microsoft or Zone Alarm auto update programme but an ntl one obtaining cache information which it has probably been doing all along until ZA version 4.5.530.00 caught it out. Unless anyone knows anything different.

regards.

doublefive

johnem 21:42 17 Dec 2003

Doublefive, just returned to puter, online for about 3 minutes and ZA finds AU magic. Slightly confused from your earlier commentabout NTL as I am still on BT dial up. At the moment have used ZA to block AU permanently. Will await further news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?