Audio/video skipping and sticking

swiksy 04:45 04 Mar 2005

Experiencing annoying "skipping" in my audio-- sounds just like a scratched cd, when it still plays but there's an audible "blip-blip-blip"-ing... sometimes will freeze for few seconds and "skip" just like cd... happens in some video games (Microsoft desktop 3D pinball) and some WM and Real audio... started happening after I had some virus problems. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

ICF 06:47 04 Mar 2005

Have you reinstalled your sound drivers?

swiksy 08:02 04 Mar 2005

No. How might I go about doing that?

ICF 09:04 04 Mar 2005

Have you got a sound card or is it on motherboard sound chip?

Diodorus Siculus 09:08 04 Mar 2005

click here
Everest will ID your card and then go to the manufacturer site.

swiksy 11:52 05 Mar 2005

Everest revealed: Device Description Type
Crystal Sound CS4236B Audio Card PnP

Can't find manufacturer website. Other suggestions?

Diodorus Siculus 16:45 05 Mar 2005

click here

Downloads at click here. Download direct:
click here

swiksy 05:28 07 Mar 2005

Okay-- I downloaded from your link and restarted, and after a heated arguement with a pesky Microsoft wizard that kept searching for drivers that it couldn't find, I found a way around so that I could get sound again (the first attempt just silenced everything). So, after all this, there is a difference in SOME of the audio-- playback of Flash cartoons, for instance-- but there is still hesitation and temporary "freezing" at times. I suppose I can live with it-- but it's not right, and I know it. Just unsure what to do about it...

Diodorus Siculus 07:19 07 Mar 2005

Two questions:

Has your machine ever played without this stuttering?

What is your processor, RAM, and operating system?

swiksy 05:05 08 Mar 2005

two answers:

Yes, this is a (relatively) new difficulty that manifested in the past several months-- seems to have started after I had some virus problems that had me pulling my hair out for a while...

I believe I've got an Intel Pentium II processor with 128MB RAM, running Windows 98.

Probably should get out of the paleolithic and buy a new system, I know... but this one just pretty much works for me and what I need it for, for now...

Diodorus Siculus 07:26 08 Mar 2005

Do you think that you could do a clean reinstall of windows? That, along with the latest drivers and a visit to windowsupdate.com might help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?