audiotape to itunes

jorf 14:37 28 Feb 2010

Is there a way of adding audio tapes to my Itunes library? I am running Vista home premium on an Acer laptop.

bremner 14:53 28 Feb 2010

If the audiotape is an mp3 then just go to File>Add to Library and point it at the file you want to add.

jorf 14:56 28 Feb 2010

No they are ordinary cassettes how do I get them on my computer?

john bunyan 15:14 28 Feb 2010

1. You need a software programme to import the cassette tunes. I use Roxio Creator 2010, a paid for one but I believe Audacity is a freebe.
I have a soundcard and attach a stereo phono lead from the headphone socket of the cassette player to the microphone input of the sound card . Some without soundcards still have such an input (look at your PC manual).
Then I play the cassette through the PC's speakers and use Audio capture in Roxio with the input setting "Sound through speakers" (or similar.) Using Roxio you can split up the songs , fade in and out etc then convert to MP3. Then you can manually name the song and get audio tags via the internet and Roxio or other software.
Then in i tunes you can "add file (or folder) to the library"

john bunyan 15:16 28 Feb 2010

My remarks refer to a desktop - do you have on board sound and a microphone input? If so , the same applies.

jorf 19:08 01 Mar 2010

I have a line in socket on my laptop, so where can I get a lead that has the small jack from the headphone socket on my tape player to the small socket on my laptop. I tried on Maplin but could not understand all the different leads.

john bunyan 23:17 01 Mar 2010

I think it is a male at each end stereo phono lead ?2.5 or 3.5 mm. Just take in a headphone lead that fits both - Maplins will advise you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone