The Audio Service is not Running

Dukeofkenpas 16:27 30 Mar 2011

Since I did a clean re-install of Windows 7 I keep getting the above error. My sound card is a sound Blaster Audigy 24 bit and the latest drivers have been downloaded. Having googled the error I see a number of people have had this problem and many of the answers have not worked. I found one that did i.e. "Services" / Windows Audio and starting the program manually (although it is set, of course, to "automatic". Whilst this works and I can then play, for instance, music files the error message reappears after a few minutes and the loudspeaker icon appears with the red cross again. It might work for up to about 20 mins but always turns itself off (even though left to its own devices). I am half expecting a hardware fault but the coincidence of re-installing Windows And the number of people suffering this problem leads me away from this.
Any ideas please?

Terry Brown 19:37 30 Mar 2011

Have you tried reporting this to Microsoft, as they may have developed a fix for it.

Terry

northumbria61 22:35 30 Mar 2011

Have you checked that both "Audio" items are started/running in Services - ie. the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder also?

Dukeofkenpas 23:04 30 Mar 2011

Yes Terry,it was not resolved.

N61 Both Audi items are running and, in fact Audio service has beeen running all evening although not being utilised. This is the longest run that I have had but it is too early to say it is resolved and I get the feeling that if I give it a good workout with music it will revert to type. We shall see.

Thanks both for responses

Dukeofkenpas 13:29 31 Mar 2011

Tried playing music again today. Sometimes Audio Service stops working after a few seconds. It will restart itself after a while as I have set it to do so but as soon as music is played..................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017