Audio editing - getting rid of clicks

athlete 01:01 13 May 2009

Hi - I am in the process of converting my vinyl using a USB turntable and Audacity. I prefer the ease of use of Free Audio Editor for cutting the 'silence' at the beginning and end of the tracks and for normalising the audio. However, I can't find a program to get rid of unwanted clicks without dulling the overall sound of the audio. Any suggestions? If Audacity or FAE does this, can you please advise how I go about it. Many thanks.

eedcam 05:50 13 May 2009

Audacity will do it but you need to chose the thresholds carefullyotherwise you will affect the rest of the track. You could try selecting the minimum amount of track either side of the click which should be visible then use th e removal tol.As for other software Even Adobe Audition which costs big bucks can destroy a track if not used carefully and that even allows for removing single clicks

mole44 06:11 13 May 2009

I use Magix audio cleaning lad on £20 or so, it will do all you need and more,i converted lp/45`s/tapes with it cleaned them all up and slpit the tracks e.t.c. Recomend this piece of software.Oh and it will record what you hear out the speakers as well.

stlucia 07:56 13 May 2009

To do it with Audacity you highlight the area you want the clicks removed from, then go to the "Effect" drop-down menu and select "Click removal ..."

"Click removal ..." is not available on the menu if you haven't selected anything on the music track.

Technotiger 08:38 13 May 2009

I second Magix - the latest version is I believe, Audio Cleaning Lab 15 DeLuxe - not expensive and does what says on the tin!!

athlete 11:08 13 May 2009

Thanks very much for the replies - I'll give these solutions a try.

Graphicool1 11:23 13 May 2009

Bear in mind that Audacity is Free. If you want to use Magix you'll have to buy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone