Audio does not work for one account

jron 19:19 21 Mar 2009

I have a packard bell running Windows XP. I have a number of external drives. There are two accounts on the machine. On my account the audio has stopped. When logging off to switch to the other account the sound comes on when the other account opens. When I try to play a video with WMP 11 it will not play and says that there is not a proper codec. When I switch to DIVX player 7 it tells me that it cannot play the audio but plays the video. Also with WMP 11 it says that there is trouble with the sound device. Switching to the other account the sound comes on.
Can anyone help please?

rdave13 19:26 21 Mar 2009

Try downloading K-Lite codec pack on the account that the audio fails; click here

jron 15:51 24 Mar 2009

Thanks rdave13. I downloaded the codec pack and then mdp 11 played the videos. I was still getting no sound but after some thought I went into control panel and then into Sounds and Audio Device Properties. In the playback window it showed Direct Play. However my sound card is Realtek so I changed it over to this and now I am getting sound and video. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?