audio device gone

aj200076 16:46 30 Aug 2008

i noticed that my audio icon in the task bar tray had diserpierd so went to sounds and audio devices in control pannel and every thing is greyed out it says i have no audio devices even though i have been listening through it since bought pc over 4 years ago?

crosstrainer 16:58 30 Aug 2008

Motherboard / soundcard details?

aj200076 17:31 30 Aug 2008

sorry i have no idea what the mother bored or sound card are can you give more info thanks

crosstrainer 17:33 30 Aug 2008

Download and run this free tool, which will give us the info we need to help:

click here

aj200076 17:51 30 Aug 2008

thanks downloaded belarc advisor it says under multimedia "realtek AC97 audio" is this the sound card? what should i do next?

crosstrainer 17:59 30 Aug 2008

Yes that's it..Proceed as follows:

First download the new drivers from:

click here

Choose the operating system that applies to your machine.

Make sure you can find the new download later, as you will need to install it from the download location on your hdd (if in doubt choose "desktop" as the location.

Then go to control panel and choose add remove programmes, or programmes and features if you are using Vista.

Remove the old drivers.

Re boot

Install the new ones from your download location.

aj200076 18:57 30 Aug 2008

thanks have downloaded the new drivers and removed the old ones and moved new ones to documents, but there is over a dozen icons one of which is installation setup, have double clicked this one but after installing nothing else happens no new program? please if you could help some more would be gratefull also when you say reboot do you mean just restart pc or reboot entire xp from scratch?

crosstrainer 19:01 30 Aug 2008

You need to be sure that 1) You hav euninstalled the old drivers,

And 2) You must be able to see the new location when you download the updated ones.

So

Download again.

When the download location screen appears, choose browse.

Then choose desktop as the location.

Then install from the icon on your desktop.

We can clean all the old junk later.

aj200076 21:01 30 Aug 2008

i have uninstalled old drivers and every time i download new drivers once downloaded their is no window to place program in i know what this is as it does it erery time i download somthing else just not this, it goes straight to installation wizard then there is nothing i have checked programs there is nothing there have downloaded several times now not sure if doing somthing wrong but the first time i downloaded a widow appeard with strange symbols across the top the first is 3 books piled on top of each other wraped in a ribon am sorry for making your life difficult lol if you have any other help would be gratefull thanks

crosstrainer 21:08 30 Aug 2008

You are downloading the correct drivers, but installing from the old location.

You need to ensure that you:
A) clear the old drivers

B) Download the new ones to the desktop.

Once you can see the new driver exe file on your desktop, then proceed.

Go to Start > control panel > device manager

Scroll through the list until you find the Realtek audio device entry.

Right click, choose remove.

Re-boot
THEN install the new ones, using the file ON the desktop :))

aj200076 21:18 30 Aug 2008

sorry for being a pain but can not find device manager in control panel?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone