audio-5.1 spkr defaulting to desktop stereo spkrs

tony-guitar 20:15 13 Feb 2004

why is it either after turning off pc or sub, does it switch from the selected 5.1 to 'stereo desktop spks'( but not always). Original system: Mesh,Amd2ooo,xp,c-media onbourd sound,4.1 spks. Now have Creative Live 5.1 sound card because i needed the line-in facility. i always 'apply' then 'ok' throughout.

redshift300 20:18 13 Feb 2004

Just a thought, have you disabled your on board 4.1 sound. This has to be done in BIOS.
Hope this helps

jim1947 20:26 13 Feb 2004

The latest creative software has a fix that picks up the settings from the control panel. Go to control panel/sound and audio panel settings/speaker settings/advanced and set it to 5.1 speakers. The creative mixer should then pick it up from there.

JIM 20:39 13 Feb 2004

Have had simlar problems as you discribe, more so after any improper shutdown.I updated via creative web with a long list of updates still, now and again it may happen though less frequently.

May just be a little conflict with one of Creatives Live drivers and winxp?

jim1947 20:43 13 Feb 2004

True what you say. Every now and then mine defaults back to 2 speakers, and I go through the procedure to change them back. I was thinking of upgrading to the Audigy, maybe that's better.

johnnyrocker 21:12 13 Feb 2004

not a lot mate i have audigy two platinum and from time to time i get the same prob but it seems a bit better since ram and processor replaced (not suggesting that as a solution;))

johnny.

PSF 21:20 13 Feb 2004

I have had the same problem before with an audigy card. I updated the drivers from click here using the Creative Software Auto Update. The problem rarely occurs now. Only if a game locks up it might reset the speakers back to desktop setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?