Audacity not recording and 'Line in' vanished.

Duncanf 09:52 29 Aug 2013

I've recently installed the latest edition of Audacity and when I pressed the red record button to record a programme, I got the message 'Error while opening sound device. Check input settings and project sample rate.' The input settings on the toolbar were completely blank. Can anyone tell me how I get these active...eg get 'line in' option for a start. I'm using Windows 7 OS. Thank you in anticipation.

Ian in Northampton 11:49 29 Aug 2013

It's a very long time since I used Audacity and my memory is very poor. However, I seem to recall that, somewhere, you have to tell it what the 'line in' option is. The default option wasn't, IIRC, the intuitive one - but I forget what it was, and what I had to change it to. The chances are, if you've upgraded from a previous version, it's overwritten the settings in the previous version you had installed, and you need to change them to suit your environment. Sorry that's a bit fuzzy - but look around the options, see what you can find.

Duncanf 12:23 29 Aug 2013

Thanks, Ian in Northampton for your suggestion. My memory (74+) is also a bit fuzzy as I'm also sure I did this many years ago too. I'm still using Audacity as I found it easy to record from a live input but I'm sure there are many other programmes on offer. Any suggestions? Will keep you informed of my progress.

Ian in Northampton 12:58 29 Aug 2013

In my mind, for free - even paid for - there's not much out there that's better than Audacity. It seems to be almost the industry standard. Don't give up!

rdave13 13:41 29 Aug 2013

Hopefully this might help, enter link description here

rdave13 13:49 29 Aug 2013

Also in Win 7 right click the sound icon on the notification area, select recording devices. In the pane that opens, right click a blank space and tick the boxes for, Show disabled devices and Show disconnected devices.

rdave13 13:55 29 Aug 2013

Should also have added to make sure 'Line-in'is 'enabled'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?