ATX power Supply 20 pin in 24pin socket?

surfsteruk 19:49 01 Feb 2006

Hi.

I've just recieved me new system today and i was busy putting everything togerther until I came to the power supply motherboard plug. I'm using my previous ATX Supply which has a 20pin plug but the motherboard has a 24pin socket. DOH!

I've just googled the problem and have discovered that I can buy a convertor at Maplins. But at the moment I'm too eager to wait till tomorow so I looked further into google and have read a few threads that seem to say its ok to use the 20pin plug in the 24pin socket.

It does fit! but it leaves 4 holes empty and I just want so find out if its ok to power up?

Hope you can help!

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 01 Feb 2006

I'd err on the side of caution and wait till I got the adaptor...

Totally-braindead 20:06 01 Feb 2006

Wouldn't recommend it just in case. I bought mine from Aria click here

ade.h 21:36 01 Feb 2006

It must be doable, provided you put it in the right way, because my most recent motherboard came with a four-pin blanking plate covering one end of the socket. It wouldn't have that if it wasn't possible right?

ade.h 21:37 01 Feb 2006

Of course, it may depend on the board. Check the manual.

surfsteruk 22:45 01 Feb 2006

Its an ASUS AN8 SLi Premium 939 motherboard. Have read the manual throghly but doesnt mention much about the power plug.

I'll give it a try and see how it works.

ade.h 23:27 01 Feb 2006

If it helps at all, I found the blanking plate on the left end of the power socket, nearest to the edge of the board.

surfsteruk 02:12 02 Feb 2006

Booted the computer up and everything seems to works fine! I will, however get the convertor tomorrow..But for now, its on to installing all the drivers!

Thanks for the advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?