Attachments/virus

bob308w 11:51 20 Dec 2005

Is it safe to open an attachment from an unknown source if I have an anti-virus (Bullguard) programme installed? Also if the attachment does contain a virus, will Bullguard remove it?

SG Atlantis® 11:53 20 Dec 2005

bin it, better safe than sorry.

IMO

stalion 11:55 20 Dec 2005

never open an attachment if you are not sure what it contains delete the email.It would depend what it contained as to whether your anti-virus would remove it.Install this and you can check your emails on the server click here

bob308w 12:03 20 Dec 2005

Thanks for your prompt replies, SG Atlantis and Stalion. I'll forgo my curiosity and bin it!!

wee eddie 12:44 20 Dec 2005

a .jpg should be pretty safe.

but a .scr is a definite. No! No!

stalion 13:02 20 Dec 2005

there have been viruses attached to jpegs recently

palinka 15:34 21 Dec 2005

I advise my friends not to open any emails that they suspect of being dodgy, and certainly not attachments ditto. You have got your preview pane switched off, haven't you?
A good antivirus will delete/put in virus vault/etc anything nasty carried by the attachment, but it's as well not to open the attachment.
You can often tell whether the attachment is likely to be dodgy by looking at the email - and you can read it without opening it by this method:RIGHT click on the subject line>left click Properties> Details> Message source. Now you can scroll down to read the message - and discover whether it's from your long lost cousin in Australia; or from some nerd "enjoying" himself at the expense of the rest of us.

SG Atlantis® 15:43 21 Dec 2005

excellent tips there palinka.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?