Attachments as txt files

WGW 12:49 11 Oct 2005

I often receive e-mail attachments from friends as large gibberish txt files. I'm certain they're not intended to reach me like that but I don't know how to rectify them or even if this is at all possible. Anybody got a solution to this.

Simsy 13:16 11 Oct 2005

that they are being converted to txt files by a virus checker...

At my place of work ANY exe files cannot be sent/recieved via email because of the potential for viruses. They are always converted to DAT files.

If this problem is at your workplace could it perhaps be something similar?

Regards,

Simsy

WGW 19:26 11 Oct 2005

It's happening on my home PC, which has Windows XP as the OS and has AVG installed as the virus checker. Would any of those be responsible perhaps?

Simsy 20:06 11 Oct 2005

and a little out of my depth on this, but it may help others if you can idicate what the files should have been... what the original file extentions were.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

mgmcc 21:09 11 Oct 2005

All files are sent over the internet as plain ASCII text. Before sending, they are MIME encoded (or less usually UUencoded), the plain text is sent and the recipient's mail program decodes the MIME back to the original binary file.

It may be that the sender is using UUencoding rather than MIME and that your email program cannot handle it. There are also other forms of encoding. A MIME encoded attachment would have a "Base 64" reference in its heading, if you are able to read the raw ASCII text.

WGW 21:21 11 Oct 2005

There may be something in the way my PC is configured for reading certain files, as the same people send other attachments that are perfectly ok. I don't know how this would come to be as I use the same programs as most other people, I'm sure, i.e. Outlook Express, MS Office, etc.

WGW 22:05 11 Oct 2005

Just forwarded a 750kb e-mail to my Outlook Express inbox from my Hotmail inbox comprising of about 15 jpg files, and it arrived as a 558kb message5.txt file - with no pictures.

mgmcc 09:47 12 Oct 2005

Try sending the jpg files from Outlook Express to your own email address and retrieve them again with Outlook Express to see what happens.

I never use web-based email services so cannot comment on what Hotmail does (or doesn't!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?