Attachments in Outlook Express

blanco 12:33 12 Feb 2004

For the first time I have been frozen out of an document attachment with the notice 'OE removed access to the following unsafe attachment in your mail'.
This was a typed document sent by a respectable company to be passed on to one of the directors who is my neighbour.
I installed the latest security patch from Windows update as soon as notified by them.
I cannot find any information in help or the Knowledge Data Base to give me any clue as to how or why this should occur.
The firm's IT dept is looking into it from their end but has anyone any idea why this should suddenly happen?

Djohn 12:37 12 Feb 2004

Express/tools/options/security and remove the tick from "Do not allow attachments to be opened that may contain a virus. j.

blanco 13:03 12 Feb 2004

Thanks Djohn,
I'm not quite sure how they decide this but I had to reinstall everything from scratch this week following a major crash so this will be the first attachment I've received since then.
Is it a good idea to leave this ticked in normal circumstances and only untick when you are sure of the source?

Peverelli 13:45 12 Feb 2004

I always leave it unticked as regularly updated antivirus SHOULD pick up and make safe any virus found in an attachment. It's a good idea, though, not to open any attachments you were not expecting or those from an unknown source.

blanco 15:34 12 Feb 2004

Yes Peverelli, this is, in fact what I have done in the past and have had no problems with bad attachments. If OE blocks an attachment like the one sent to me, then I suspect it will block everything. It looks like a failsafe system where you have to opt in each time rather than opt out by deleting the dodgy ones yourself.
I haven't reticked and will leave it as it is.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?