attaching a network printer to new laptop

sheila.weston 12:27 23 Jan 2009

I am trying ot attach my new laptop (running Vista) to the network printer. The laptop is connected to the router with a cable and I could use the same printer on my previous laptop. I have gone into ctl>printers and selected 'attach network printer', but am then asked for a name or to browse for it. I have tried various combinations of Canon Pixma iP4300 to no avail. Any ideas?
Thankyou for any help, as always.

oldbeefer2 12:47 23 Jan 2009

have a read through click here

Woolwell 12:59 23 Jan 2009

Have you installed the drivers for it on your new laptop?

oldbeefer2 14:12 23 Jan 2009

Also have a look at this PCA thread click here

T0SH 15:27 23 Jan 2009

If your printer is connected through your router it will have been allocated an IP address in the form of 192.168.1.65 or something along these lines look at the printer Properties Ports Tab on a PC that currently uses this network printer

It should be listed the IP address is on the left under the Port heading you may have to pull the separator line in the toolbar over to the right to see the full IP address you can also see the printer name listed here

With one or both is should be easy to set up the printer on your new laptop

Cheers HC

sheila.weston 17:14 23 Jan 2009

Hmm... I think that the problem is that I haven't got the printer driver installed, although I tried to install the printer from the disk this morning - I'll try again!

In my old PC I can't find an IP address like your example, Tosh. My old XP PC (under server properties>ports)says agains USB 001, that there is a 'virtual printer for USB001'.
Under 'Drivers' it says 'Windows2000 or XP'.

So how do I find and install the drivers for Vister (SP1)? I'd like to try this first.

Perhaps the solution *is* to connect the printer to the laptop and install again, as suggested on click here - but as it suggests XP and Vista may not mix.

Thanks for this help - I would *love* to set it up without calling in an expert, if I can.

sheila.weston 19:37 23 Jan 2009

How do I download the printer driver? I have found several sites like something Detective (?eg Digipro.co.uk), but took fright as it wants to scan the whole laptop.

piddletrenthide 19:39 23 Jan 2009

If I'm right in assuming that there are other computers in your network, have you set up the new laptop with the same Workgroup name? Vista defaults to WORKGROUP whereas XP Home defaults to MSHOME. If they're not set the same your new laptop won't see the printer or anything else on the network.

To change, right click 'My computer' > properties> computer name> change

Apologies if this isn't relevant to your problem.

sheila.weston 20:25 23 Jan 2009

Yes, It might well be relevant. As you may gather, I am out of my depth!
My desktop is called SHEILA-DESKTOP and the workgroup is MSHOME.
The Laptop is Sheila-laptop and the Workgroup is WORKGROUP.
Do I change it in the Laptop or the desktop?
??Progress?

sheila.weston 20:46 23 Jan 2009

I only need to change the Worgroup name, don't I? And surely it must be changed on the laptop? I am trying this.

sheila.weston 20:57 23 Jan 2009

No, I have tried changing the workgroup name on the laptop to MS Home (in ctl>'Computer'). But I have still had to browse for the printer and I can't find anywhere to input the name of the workgroup. A box comes up with headings for workgroup, but none listed and you can't add one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone