Attaching caption details to a photographic image.

firegamp 14:38 18 Aug 2009

I have a dvd onto which about 24 photographs have been copied. When I open them in My Pictures, the display is fine.
However, I want to send the dvd to a friend without having to append a note giving each picture's jpg name followed by a descriptive caption.
When I worked in newspapers, a photo traveled with its own caption either pasted to or scrawled on its reverse side. How can I do the same thing with the pix on my dvd?
In other words, how can new tech do what old tech found so easy? I can't rename each file. Imagine it: "Little Jennifer finally settles down to sleep -- with one eye open.jpg" I don't think so... Is there another way, please? firegamp

BT 17:30 18 Aug 2009

Why not make a Slideshow and put captions. Windows PhotoStory 3 is free and simple to use and can produce some very impressive results with a little practise.

Have a look here to see what is possible
click here

Newuser38 20:04 18 Aug 2009

Picasa is worth a try. It can be used to add captions and also to produce what it calls gift CD,s, click here

scotty 15:24 19 Aug 2009

Picture files such as .jpg files can contain embedded "meta data". If the photo has been taken using a digital camera, this meta data will include details of the camera and its settings. You can add captions using a program such as Irfanview. In Irfanview, click on Image tab and select properties. There will be two buttons, IPTC and EXIF. You can view and add data such as a caption. Not sure of the best way of displaying this caption but Picasa may offer this facility. Sorry, I cannot check just now as I do not have Picasa on this pc.

firegamp 09:28 20 Aug 2009

Between BT, Newuser38 and Scotty, my problem is over. The digital camera doesn't come into it because the photographer, now dead, took everything up to 50 years ago, but it will be very handy when I download my wife's pix soon.
Picasa looks handy, though I was once told it can be a bit of a bully. However, I've downloaded PhotoStory 3 and it looks very handy indeed, even if it won't do the "through the post" all travel together bit.
Thanks a lot though, to all of you - "and anyone else who knows me". firegamp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?