ATI Radeon 9550

guesswho2 17:35 01 Feb 2009

Let it be known that I have just tried yet again (I've tried several times over the last few months)to update the driver for this thing.
This time again I went to the ATI site, downloaded the Display driver, went to Device Manager, Update driver tab, clicked where to find the file, restarted when requested - whereupon, when it rebooted the mouse would not move the cursor and the Start button was inoperative. I had to switch off.
How the hell does anyone update this driver?

Mester 17:53 01 Feb 2009

When in the past I have updated the drivers to my lowly old 9200 from the ATI site, I have just downloaded the exe file and let it get on with it.

However, I did find that I needed to reboot my system twice before it would work as it should.

So, just install the new drivers, reboot and let windows boot fully and then reboot again.

Got to be worth a try!

HTH, Tony

guesswho2 18:04 01 Feb 2009

Hi Mester. This time, when it rebooted the cursor was stuck, so all I could do was switch off and restart in Safe Mode back to good config.
Previously when I've tried, the desktop image didn't fill the screen plus when a file was opened, the screen was then 'wiped' as in a Power Point presentation. Whichever way I try, the operation is a disaster. I think I should just leave alone - BUT, I want to change to a flat screen and this seems to call for the latest driver. Maybe I should just give computing - getting too old for it maybe.

Mester 18:16 01 Feb 2009

You can still navigate to the shut down "key" with out a mouse. Just use the windows key near the space bar to bring up the start menu and then the cursor keys to navigate through to the shut down option.

Why do you need to update the drivers just to use an lcd display?

Mester 18:18 01 Feb 2009

Other than the cursor problem you have the same symtoms as I used to get when updating ATI drivers.

Mester 18:19 01 Feb 2009

Which OS are you using, XP or Vista?

guesswho2 18:34 01 Feb 2009

Thanks Mester. Yeah, I should have said XP Home, SP3, 1GHz, 1GB RAM.
You say you got the same symptoms when you updated - how did you get it fixed?
I thought that the word on the street was to update the graphics card driver before changing to a flat screen? I don't want lash out on a 1680x1050 resolution only to find that this Radeon 9550can't cope. But updating this card is obviously beyond my capability.
This last 4 years I've been using a 17inch CRT on this Evesham outfit.
Thanks for your reply.
Ken

Mester 19:19 01 Feb 2009

Your Radeon card should be fine up to 2048 x 1536 however you have said that you only have a 1Ghz processor. Is this right?

guesswho2 19:34 01 Feb 2009

HI.
1)how do you know that the 9550 is OK up to 2048x1536, and
2) yes the processor is apparently an AMD 1.2GHz
Tell me the worst!

woodchip 19:51 01 Feb 2009

Best way to do it, I have a Sapphire 9550 Ati same Start in Safe Mode the Go to to Add Remove Programs and remove any Ati then Uninstall the Ati in Device Manager Restart and run new update, or if you downloaded it to a folder run it in safe mode before restarting

Mester 20:07 01 Feb 2009

The Spec's for the 9550 state that the max supported res' is 2048 x 1536 but with your 1.2GHz processor I'm not sure how well it would run at that res.
As I said earlier I got my system running after updating by rebooting multiple times. Install the new drivers, reboot and let windows boot fully and then reboot again. Don't think that just because on the first reboot it all appears wrong that you shouldn't bother trying to reboot again.

If this gets you nowhere give Woodchips method a go.

You may still need to reset the screen res' after all this in properties to get it looking right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?