ATI Graphics Driver crashes after D drive replaced

rangi 22:41 12 Jun 2007

The DVD/RAM drive (Mat*!@:a UJ-841S) in my Toshiba Equium A60 laptop recently failed and a replacement disc drive was fitted (TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-L532A). I now have a problem as follows: while the new drive is working OK, the ATI graphics driver crashes if I have either the Toshiba supplied Sonic DLA software enabled or I leave my 4 Gig memory stick plugged in for more than a short period. It may take 5 minutes or an hour but sooner or later the display suddenly goes very coarse and I get a message saying that the ATI graphics driver has failed and that I need to reboot to get the display to operate normally again. I need not be actively using the disc drive or the stick when the crash occurs. After the first crash, the computer crashes within a minute or two after each reboot and eventually I have to go into safe mode and do a system restore. With the Sonic DLA software disabled and the memory stick not plugged in, the PC operates normally. Can anyone help, please?

Totally-braindead 23:06 12 Jun 2007

As a suggestion could you try reinstalling all your laptops drivers, or looking for updated ones and using them.

rangi 23:24 12 Jun 2007

Thanks for suggestion. I did in fact completely reload the PC and checked for updated drivers. This unfortunately didn't help.

rangi 23:39 30 Jun 2007

For the record problem now sorted. Toshiba Sonic DLA software evidently dedicated to the original D drive. I replaced this with Dell Sonic DLA. This works fine and graphics driver is now behaving normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?