Ati Drivers Uninstall - Where did they go?

Lerm 11:20 26 Nov 2008

Having to uninstall drivers for ATI card and go back to onboard (Nvidia) graphics as my new card is faulty - possibly a fan problem as the thing oscillates in sound constantly. In order to remove the drivers when I go into Control Panel (I have Vista Home Premium 32bit OS) the ATI uninstaller is telling me I currently have nothing installed. I know the drivers should still be there as I haven't removed them yet. I have removed the card already as it is going to be picked up and taken back today. I put it back in then tried to run the program. Same thing. No software installed. Then I followed the instructions with the Catalyst uninstaller to remove the Uninstaller itself. It told me it had done that but it is still listed in the Control Panel. I have run files searches for Catalyst and ATI and the only thing found is a folder in Programs containing some shortcuts.

Before I installed the Catalyst Uninstaller I had not removed the latest Catalyst drivers (and for the life of me I cannot remember whether the Catalyst Control Center was listed in the Control Panel before I installed the Catalyst Uninstaller but I know I didn't uninstall it).

Where the flippin' 'eck have the drivers and ATI stuff gone without me having uninstalled them? After taking out the card and going into Safe Mode to remove the drivers and not finding them, then putting the card back in and booting normally to try to find the drivers etc and not finding them I then took out the card and tried to uninstall the Catalyst Uninstaller as I have said although it indicated I had it is still listed in the Control Panel.

The onboard graphics (Nvidia) have taken over again and there seems to be no issues with using the PC in terms of looking at stuff with 1024x768 resolution (as far as a the cheap old flat panel I have will go). But I am still puzzled as to what happened to the ATI drivers!

Any ideas? Thanks.

The Kestrel 16:41 26 Nov 2008

I have a Nvidia graphics card in my PC. All the files related to it are found in a folder on the hard drive with the label Nvidia.

Stuartli 19:14 26 Nov 2008

If you want to get rid of particular drivers or remnants, then Drive Cleaner Pro (freeware) works well. See:

click here

Also worth reading two excellent TweakGuides pieces on ATi and nVidia drivers and software at:

click here

click here

However, I use the basic ATi graphics card driver in conjunction with ATi Tray Tools, which is a fraction of the size of the Catalyst equivalent, yet covers the same ground.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?