ATI DRIVERS - PC CRASHING

Laurence99 15:27 29 Nov 2006

Ok, my PC (XP SP2) has new Radeon X1600 PRO card fitted as replacement to failed Radeon 9800 XT (seperate contention with my PC provided over this as I belive this is less powerfull than my old 9800XT, but thats another issue I am trying to resolve).
Downloaded the latest Catylst 6.11 software and drivers.
Uninstalled all my existing ATI software and removed ATI related entries in registers, as per ATI instructions.
Installed new 6.11 software & drivers.

However, PC keeps halting or crashing every few minutes. XP error says it is video driver issue or stuck in driver thread.

Have tried to get help from AMD customer support but no joy.
Is there something extra I should be doing before installing the new driver software?
I have other ATI related files in other C:\windows directories (prior to installing 6.11), but dont want to remove these manually if I dont have to, could do more harm than good :)

Any help appreciated, I am getting frustrated with this!
Thank you.

Stuartli 15:36 29 Nov 2006

I use the ATi driver only and, instead of the Catalyst Pack, the ATi Tray Tools which is tiny compared to the Pack but just as efficient.

If you use Drive Cleaner Pro (freeware) to remove all traces of ATi drivers etc first, you can then install the driver and, if you wish, ATi Tray Tools.

Drive Cleaner Pro from:

click here

and ATi Tray Tools from:

click here

Stuartli 15:46 29 Nov 2006

Also worth a read:

click here

keef66 15:46 29 Nov 2006

looking at the Techpowerup gpu database, the X1600 pro looks to be about half the speed of a 9800 XT

click here

I'm an Nvidia user so have no experience of ATI drivers

Laurence99 19:46 29 Nov 2006

Thank you Stuartli for these tips.
Found them very usefull. DCleaner Pro took off some extra files I had missed.
Started from a very clean PC, installed just the latest ATI driver only (for 6.11).
Downloaded ATI Tray but not tried yet.

Unfortunately still get PC Freezes and halts with blank or coloured screens. XP serious system error still says problem with video driver.
When I remove all the ATI software/drivers and just use the default XP driver (cancel when it comes up with found new hardware) the PC works ok with no freezes.

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

fitshase 19:49 29 Nov 2006

Just a quick note - I have an ATI Radeon 9250 and I have been having the same problems - the cause.... Direct X 9.0 installation.

It appears that the graphics card is not fully compatible with DX9 (it only states DX8 on the website). I have done a clean install and all works fine for weeks. Then, I installed Direct X 9.0 and the problems started. I need DX9 to run some programs I have so a new graphics card is on order.

Check out the specs of your card and see if it could be Direct X causing the problems.

keef66 10:00 30 Nov 2006

The x1600 is surely fully DX9 compliant; it's not been out that long.

Stuartli 10:21 30 Nov 2006

There is an October 2006 update of DirectX 9.0c - works fine with my ATi 9550 graphics card. See:

click here

Laurence99 10:29 30 Nov 2006

I have the latest DirectX 9.0c software, which according to the web site the X1600 Pro is fully compatible with.
So I dont think the problem is there.

keef66 11:37 30 Nov 2006

perhaps you should try reinstalling directX 9c? Perhaps it didn't install properly first time?

can you run the dxdiag tests?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone