Ati and defrag

john bunyan 20:51 06 Sep 2010

I have w7, ATI 2010, an USB HD and a second ,slave drive in a SATA removable caddy. After scans for viruses, malware and a defrag, I make a verified image of each of the two partitions on my main drive , on the USB HD(on which I also have some other stuff, such as a mirror Synch of data). I also make a clone of the primary drive on the slave, all weekly. I have noticed that after the two images (verified) of the main partitions, the USB is 67% fragmented. I run a Auslogics defrag but my question is: Does the defrag destroy the image in some way? I thought of partitioning the USB so a special partition would be used for verified images, not defragged. Any views?

sunnystaines 21:05 06 Sep 2010

not sure but i would not defrag it just to be safe.

a clone is like the hdd but an image should be one big file.

john bunyan 09:26 07 Sep 2010

Too late for this time. My USB HDD was defragged after removing the previous image, but after the new image, was 67% fragmented. It took about 1.5 hours to defragment, and I wonder if that has ruined the verified image. I think I might start over, and partition the USB drive into one for images and another for normal files, defragging only that partition.Anyone else noticed this "fragmented" feature with ATI on USB drives?

john bunyan 17:03 08 Sep 2010

As no one else has commented, I think that defrag programmes are puzzled by image files as they look like one file.A defrag after adding 2 images took ages and started ay 65% defragged. I have now, with help on another thread, created two partitions on my USB HD and will keep ATI images on one, and other "normal" data and back up data (e Mail etc) on the other.

DieSse 19:11 08 Sep 2010

"...as they look like one file"

They don't look like one file - they are one file (each image). As such they cannot be de-fragmented internally.

A defragmenting run with one large file and many small ones is problematical - better to do as you have and keep the tib files in one partition and the other files in another.

Though on a backup drive defragmenting is not a particularly useful activity anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?