Athlon XP Users Please help, Overheating and.....

SimonC 17:31 10 Mar 2004

inaccurate bios information. First a confession, I'm an Pentium 4 man, so I am totally unfamiliar with AMD systems. The help is 4 a friend who has just built a PC and is having a few problems with heat and the bios not auto-detecting his set up properly!. First things first, what is a safe
temp 4 an Athlon XP to run at?. His is currently idling at 64 degrees celsius, phew hot or wot?. The processor itself is a 1.8Ghz Athlon XP but the bios reports it as a 1.1Ghz. His motherboard has a 400Mhz FSB but it sounds like an AMD board reports this in a way I am not familiar with. In the bios he can alter the bus speed which in turn alters the clock cycle of his CPU but there is no option in this which indicates that the board does actually have a 400Mhz front side bus speed, what am I missing here?, he was trying to explain this but having no experience of AMD I am beginning realise it is a totally different kettle of fish to an Intel chipset. Secondly any ideas as to why his bios reports inaccurate information. I realise that he has the option to change things and indeed to overclock if he should so wish but I would of expected the bios to auto-detect his initial set up properly from the off. We would be very grateful 4 any idea\solutions u could offer us.

Thanx a lot

SimonC

fuzzyone 17:39 10 Mar 2004

SimonC,

tell your friend to boot into the bios, and change the fsb to 133, and the multiplier to 11.5.

This cpu should run at a speed of 1.53

LastChip 17:42 10 Mar 2004

The processor runs at 1533MHz, so the motherboard should have a 266 FSB and the BIOS will be set to run at 133 x 11.5

The rated temperature maximum temperature is 90 Deg C. But 64 is above average. Did he use some kind of thermal paste between the CPU and heat-sink when he assembled the components? Lack of a heat exchange medium is the most likely cause of a high temperature, or components within the case blocking the airflow.

961 17:44 10 Mar 2004

AMD web site will tell you that these can run at over 70 deg C but you will normally find that CPU temp is around 40 - 50 deg C. Systems which are well ventilated can run quite a bit cooler still

bp_me 17:44 10 Mar 2004

In relation to cooling, have a look below.

click here

Have two pcs with AMD chips, and this works brilliantly.

SimonC 17:50 10 Mar 2004

some form of rubber pad that came with the set up the likes of which I've not heard of, no thermal paste 4 this chap;). Also its a custom case with window and fan on the side as well as an exhaust fan situated by the processor. What sort of temp should he be looking for in the ideal system?. Thanx 4 your info, what u have given us is invaluable!.

SimonC

LastChip 17:55 10 Mar 2004

Just checked mine, a 1900+. The CPU is running at 44 Deg C with a case temp. of 37.

The alarms set at 60 and it's never been anywhere near in the most extreme of conditions. But I do use Arctic Silver thermal paste. I believe, the best you can get.

Rayuk 18:10 10 Mar 2004

Did he remove a plastic cover that may have been on the pad?
It shouldnt be running that hot especially with the fans in the case.

SimonC 18:31 10 Mar 2004

So what r his best options 4 a cooling solution?, all suggestion will be considered and thanx to all of u 4 your responses, u r the best, this forum is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

SimonC

P.S Guys- Just 4 the record my Pentium 4 2.4GHz system has been running 4 2 hours now and started at 29 Deg C and has evened out at 32 Deg C Processor Zone and a System Zone temp of 31 Deg C, funny how the 2 manufacturers differ so greatly, cheers again!.

Indigo 1 18:44 10 Mar 2004

I have a XP 2600 overclocked to 2800 and it runs at 48 on web surfing, document processing etc and 51 when playing full on games.

This low temp is mainly due to the PSU which has 3 thermally controlled fans plus two extra 92mm fans blowing into the case.

64 is not too hot to worry about but it can probably be brought down a little with some extra fans and correct use of thermal compound (forget the sticky pad supplied Arctic Silver is the best !). If the PC is stable at this temp then all is well but try to set up the BIOS properly first and dont forget to save before exiting the BIOS.

LastChip 18:48 10 Mar 2004

The micron size that the CPU and hence all the micro transistors are made up of.

Intel has traditionally used a smaller process and hence less heat is generated.

If he's used the thermal pad that came with the heat-sink, remove it and use quality thermal paste according to the manufacturers instructions (obviously with the machine switched off!)

Be very careful how you remove the heat-sink and the old pad, you do not want to damage or scratch the mirror surface. Remove the heat-sink with a GENTLE twisting motion. DO NOT force anything. Nail varnish remover is probably as good as anything to remove the old pad with a soft cloth and a GENTLE rubbing action. If you really want to push the boat out, get a third party heat-sink, but make sure it will fit the motherboard, as often there are capacitors located quite close to the CPU socket.

For some examples click here

If you want "purpose built" cleaning fluid and Arctic Silver click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?