Athlon XP CPU

professor 17:43 15 Feb 2003

hey all its me

i recently saw that the Athlon CPU has different "versions" there is a palomino Thoroughbread "A" and Thoroughbread "B" along with the latest Barton. What i would like to know is is there anyway i can tell what "version" ive got and how could i tell if my M\B would accept a Thoroughbread "B" or is it me getting concerned about a compatability issue that doesnt exist??

to see what i mean have a look at www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-09.html

powerless 17:47 15 Feb 2003

Who is the manufacturer of your motherboard?

Go to there website and that should tell you.

Spook Tooth 18:04 15 Feb 2003

click here

That's the answer - just the difference in FSB, with T'bred B offering consumers WITH Via KT333, Nforce 2 etc, the ability run the CPU at 333MHz FSB as opposed to usual 266MHz, for T'bred A cores, Palamino, and T'bird.

Now, kid Barton is on the block, and Tom's says it will require users to have a corresponding chipset able to support the higher FSB, since it won't run (with or without a BIOS upgrade) for motherboards sporting a slower chipset, FSB 266MHz variety. (Unlike the Thoroughbreds, there's no A or B cores as yet and won;t likely be.)

Spook Tooth 18:08 15 Feb 2003

Short answer - you will need CHIPSET that supports 333MHz FSB for T'bred B type.

If you've not got something like an ASUS A7V333 or later, and your FSB is restricted to 266MHz, then T'bred Bs won't be an option for that board.

professor 21:20 15 Feb 2003

sorted

my fsb can do 333mhz thats all i needed 2 know as for barton i know its on the block i just thought id mention it as it seems pretty impressive!!

prof

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?