Athlon XP 2500+ clock rate

Laser157 17:22 24 Jan 2004

I am starting this again the previous thread being: click here

My problem is that having built a new computer I cannot get a stable system if I set the CPU clock rate as it should be. The key components are:

Mobo Asus A7N8X-X
CPU AMD Athlon 2500+
Memory 256Mb DDR 2700 as supplied by CCL Computers
OS Windows ME

Initially the system set itself at FSB of 100 which with a multipier of 11 gave a clock speed of 1100.
I reset to 166 to give the correct speed for this processor of about 1830 at which the system becomes prone to crashes.
At 133 giving a clock rate of about 1460 it works fine.
I would like to get it to its full speed. Can anyone suggest where the problem may be. Could it be the memory?

Chegs ® 17:27 24 Jan 2004

Most likely to be memory,get a memory tester.This one will test your RAM and might show up a problem.

click here

LastChip 17:33 24 Jan 2004

Have you checked your motherboard BIOS version, and whether it will support a 2500+ without an upgrade (flash).

Look for the information at the bottom of the very first bootup screen. It all happens very fast, so hitting the Pause button at this point may help you read it.

ahales42 18:10 24 Jan 2004

I`m using the same mb and cpu as you. I installed 1 gig mem and it crashed all the time. Changed to samsung mem and have had no probs since. I think it is a mem prob.

Laser157 18:13 24 Jan 2004

Thanks for the replies. It could be the BIOS. it's Phoenix version V6.00PG. It detects the processor as an Athlon XP1900+. I'm concerned about updating the BIOS as I destroyed a Gateway Mobo about 2 years ago doing this! BUT Asus site checks that ALL versions of BIOS support this processor, so maybe it is the memory. I'm confused now!!

LastChip 18:34 24 Jan 2004

I had a machine with major freezing problems that were driving me around the bend.

Although the BIOS I had loaded supported the CPU, in shear desperation, I flashed the BIOS to the latest spec. and low and behold, all was well.

I'm not saying you should flash the BIOS and can understand your reluctance having had a failure once, but my experience proves that you cannot take for gospel everything that you think to be true.

If you think it may be a memory problem (and that's a perfectly reasonable assumption) click here to download a reliable test utility, that may throw some light on the subject.

Laser157 19:09 24 Jan 2004

These are very helpful contributions - thanks! I think I need to chase the memory issue first. I'm not quite clear how to use the downloaded .iso file for memory checker. Do you extract/save it to a disk and boot from there?

Another course might be to see if CCL will take back the memory and give a refund so I can buy a branded one. Incidentally I bought all the gear from them and they gave great service and the prices were really competitive.

Laser157 19:25 24 Jan 2004

A bit more info: The BIOS correctly identifies the CPU as 2500+ when set at the correct clock rate, but as a 1900+ when set at lower rates. Is this a clue to the diagnosis?

shortcircuit 19:32 24 Jan 2004

I don't think the problem is your BIOS as I have used loads of these with 2500xp and never had a problem with one. I also use A7V8X-X and also rate these as bulletproof. I always use crucial or Kingston value is on a budget and never have a problem.

I would check that you have a sound PSU(doubt its the problem) and that you have the heat sink fitted ok as the extra heat from 1836GHz could overheat the cpu if not cooled enough. I doubt its the BIOS as these boards were made for the barton chip and as the 2500xp is a barton, I cant see the problem. I have clocked many of these cpus to 2000Ghz without a murmur, so i put my dollar on the RAM.

One thing you could try is to set the CAS latency to 3, this will ease the pressure on the RAM.

Try it. If not, take the ram back and stick with Crucial.

LastChip 19:44 24 Jan 2004

Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.0 installable from Windows and DOS

Laser157 20:33 24 Jan 2004

Thanks folks! I'll try the memory test. The CPU runs really cool according to the BIOS - about 35 to 40 degC depending on the clock speed. This machine is one I have built for my Father. On my own I have an XP1500+ which runs at about 70DegC at its proper clock speed. I also have some Crucial memory in my machine and when I bought it the service was great, so I may go back to them.

I think the power supply is fine - an AOpen one at 300 Watts and I haven't got loads of kit in the machine at this point. Only one optical drive and one HDD, a modest graphics card and an ADSL USB modem. There is one more optical and one more HDD to be added later.

As I said, this machine runs excellently at 133 FSB, but I don't want to put up with the performance of a 1900+ when I should have better.

I'm really grateful for all this help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017