Athlon trouble! Won't Boot!

Freddog™ 15:57 31 Mar 2006

Hi, in a previous post I said that my Atlhon was overheating, and so I changed the fan and CPU heatsink and it wouldn't boot, all that kept happening was everything powered up for 4 seconds and then it switched off. I changed the Fan&H/S back overe and the PC stays on but I get nothing, no beeps or anything. I tryed booting without the RAM, and I still got no beeps. HELP ME!

ACOLYTE 16:03 31 Mar 2006

It may be you fried the CPU 80C is very hot even for CPU's rated upto 90C.

Freddog™ 16:07 31 Mar 2006

It was working fine, it was running at 50C, then I read the reply and changed the Fan & H/S and then it wouldn't boot. I took out the CPU and no beeps!

ACOLYTE 16:09 31 Mar 2006

I thought you said i was getting to 80C?,when you changed the heatsink fan did you put new thermal compound on?and it the heatsink fitted flush to the cpu and the right way,i know these are silly questions but i have myself fitted them the wrong way in the past.

Stuartli 16:13 31 Mar 2006

You quite clearly stated it was reaching 80 degrees in the Bios, hence the advice given by forum members.

My Athlon XP 3200+ ranges between 48-50 degrees C on boot up and goes to about 56-57 degrees C with my maximum use (i.e. Freeview TV card in use plus several windows open).

crosstrainer 16:36 31 Mar 2006

I run the same cpu on an msi neo platinum board, never goes beyond 50c even in the most demanding games. Does the cpu identify correctly in the bios? if you get no Bios screen you could have fried the bios chip. That cpu shouldnt run anywhere near that hot if you have correct ventilation and cooling. I have 2 intake fans at the front of my case, the cpu fan graphics card fan and a large extraction fan at the rear, and the enforce chip has it's own, sounds a lot but all are monitored by "cool and quiet" via the Bios and only run at full speed when the system reaches 45c. You may need a new cpu and mobo. sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, hope this is not the case

woodchip 18:20 31 Mar 2006

Is the PC speaker connected

ittech247 18:27 31 Mar 2006

Sounds like you may have cooked your cpu, put the cpu back in, re boot the pc, does anything come on the screen? If not cpu is dead

ACOLYTE 18:30 31 Mar 2006

This is based on the worst case scenario,you may not have fried the CPU i hope not, questions remained unanswered,you also have a thread ongoing about grafix card drivers,i do hope these are not all tied to 1 pc.

Freddog™ 20:35 01 Apr 2006

Hi, I have been sleeping ove my mates so I couldn't reply. When I was replacing the CPU H/S & Fan I jarred the mobo with my screwdriver, it just hit a part of the mobo that has no chips or anything though. If the CPU was fried wouldn't the mobo beep? I don't think I've fried it. I'll have to swap it around with my Sempron to see if I can get it going. I'm hoping that at worst it's the mobo, I can easily get a new one so yeah. Thanks guy's! P.S. woodchip it is an "on-board" Speaker. P.P.S. I don't think I have enough cooling anyway, I'll add more.

Freddog™ 12:21 02 Apr 2006

Do you think it is the fact that I jarred it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?