Athlon Termp

goosegreen 23:26 04 Nov 2003

Having been using an old PII 350 for about 5 years
I decided to upgrade and treat myself to a self built Athlon 2400 XP+Asus A7V8XMB+256 Dramm the case I fitted it all into is a bit cheap and nasty although looks good in black. My problem is that after being on for about 4 Hrs the whole system goes flaky, lots of blue screens of death an total freeze ups. Its worse when the other 2 machines on my home network are doing some serious surfing through ICS. Having been used to the old PII temperature wasn't an issue but I realize that with the athlon it maybe, the temp monitor for the CPU reaches a max temp of 56c could this sort of temperature be causing the instability? And if so do i need extra chassis cooling. Regards goosegreen

Simon_P 23:37 04 Nov 2003

Sounds ok maybe
I use 2 comps:

Athalon xp 1900+ 56 c

athalon xp 2800 49-52 c

Have no problems with either

Athalons do run hot and heard of systems running at 80 c +

I dont think that your 56 c is the problem.

Simon_P 23:43 04 Nov 2003

Can you adjust this?

Another thought:
you said that the case is cheap and nasty!
what it the PSU wattage?
Recomend at least 350 watt for a xp 2400 or above, I may be wrong but I think that they need 79 watts just for CPU.

hugh-265156 23:47 04 Nov 2003

temperature sounds ok,maybe a wee bit on the high side but nothing that would cause the system to crash.under 50C for the cpu and under 30C for the case temps are optimal but it depends on your room temps to start with.

what temp does it reach if running a game or cpu intensive program etc for a while? a good cpu stabillity tester is prime95 click here and run a torture test for a few hours,that should heat things up a bit(its not actually designed for this but works very well)

next time you get a BSOD note down the error code and do a search on click here or into the search box click here should give some clues to the problem.my guess is its maybe a driver issue or xp might need an update click here

aida32 will give all sorts of info from system temps to links to driver updates for your system and loads more click here

Djohn 00:22 05 Nov 2003

Are you reading the temp. from the BIOS? This is the most accurate source to take a reading from, and 56c is fine for your particular CPU. I know that the lower the better, but sometimes you have to make a balance between the temperature and the noise of cooling fans!

The "Lock-up" of your system may be due to a memory problem more than the CPU.

AMD are quite happy for their CPU's to run in the mid 60's and have a maximum temp. of 90c and even 100c for some of their range. In saying this, I have a 2400XP+ and it ticks over at 46/48 rising to 54 under pressure. This is with just the CPU fan, the PSU fan and one extractor fan top rear of case. j.

imarcus2 00:34 05 Nov 2003

Followed a similar route from PII 350 to 1800 Athlon -- and did have the flaky running too.

After a dose of searching on the AMD site, I finally found that AMD regard 'normal running' of the CPU in the range 60 to 65 degC. Their suggested absolute maximum is 85 degC, with meltdown above 90 degC. No figure for what the system should be, but I guess 35 to 40 degC is fine.

Mine was cutting out with running at above 55 degC because the BIOS cutout temp was set too low, at 55 degC, so I did as AMD recommend, and shifted that to 75 degC for starters.

Comapared with the coolth of PII 350, all this heat is worrying! I have installed WinBonds HWDoctor, which allows instant reference to the CPU and system temperatures whenever the PC is running -- it's mildly reassuring!

goosegreen 20:22 06 Nov 2003

Thanks for all the replies i am now running the intensive program suggested by huggyg71 and will check the temp again. ( Not much of a gamer). The problem definatly gets worse when the other 2 Pcs are using the internet.

hugh-265156 03:15 07 Nov 2003

i would still update all the versions of windows on all the computers first.update all the drivers for the hardware too.then see what happens.

aida32 click here will let you know the hardware you have installed in each system and give links to manufacturer websites for driver updates.update windows from the link in the posting above.

also in xp,have look in start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer for errors that may give some clues to the problem.

goosegreen 17:40 07 Nov 2003

Again thanks for all you replies, I think I may have sorted the problem. In Bios I changed the memory frequency from auto to the correct value for the MB. (266) It has improved no end. One over point, can someone explain the difference between:
CPU External frequency and Memory Frequency. In Bios it doesn?t state FSB speed

Regards

Goosegreen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone