Athlon processors

Hrosir 20:38 04 Apr 2009

Hi, Im wondering if there will be a significant peformance drop between a single core Athlon 64 2.8ghz and the twin core version, .I wondered if a board that supports the single core AMD will allow me to upgrade to the twin core version?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 04 Apr 2009

peformance drop between a single core Athlon 64 2.8ghz and the twin core version

Yes

board that supports the single core AMD will allow me to upgrade to the twin core version?
No

DieSse 21:32 04 Apr 2009

"I wondered if a board ...."

Which board exactly?

"Im wondering if there will be a significant peformance drop between a single core Athlon 64 2.8ghz and the twin core version,"

What twin core version, exactly - what single core version exactly?

Normally a twin core processor will perform better than a single core, all other things being equal (which they usually aren't).

Hrosir 21:55 04 Apr 2009

The CPU in question is an Athlon 64 le 1660 as used in a Mesh computer. I have another pc using the dual core 64 2.8ghz CPU and have been pleased with the performance. The single core version seems to be a good buy for use in a second pc for my wife although she does like online games such as Conan which recomends at least a 2.5ghz dual core CPU or a 3ghz pentium.

DieSse 13:35 05 Apr 2009

Well the CPU performance should be close to recommended - which probably means better than the minimum requirement.

What about the motherboard query?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017