Athlon limitation, or Serif? SSE instructions.

Simsy 18:37 22 Aug 2007

Folks,

I'm a big fan of Serif software, both the software itself, and the way they do business, but I've just come across a small problem....

I recently negotiated a bundle deal with them, (something they are open to!), which included DrawPlus. It's not a prog I think I really have a need for, so I think I'm going to return it under their money back guarantee anyway, but I've come across a little problem...

When I try to "paint" something, and choose one of the textured brushes, I get the following warning message;

click here

Now my PC has a 1.3 Athlon, circa 2003, so it's well after the date they suggest. Also I've just done a big re-install and everything else is working OK, so I'm pretty sure it's not a PC problem...
I've rung the Serif helpline and spoken to someone, who went away to talk to someone else...
He came back on the line and suggested that it's not something that was a feature of AMD processors... but he didn't sound very convinced/convincing.

It's not the end of the world, as I'm going to return the software anyway, but it doesn't ring true to me.

I'm happy to be corrected however. Can any hardware experts confirm this, that an Athlon 1.3Gig can't handle SSE instruction?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

umbongo(uk) 19:07 22 Aug 2007

Comparing the performance of the 1.3/1.33 Ghz Athlon to that of the Pentium 4 is not straightforward. In the current computing environment, the Athlon is the clear winner with its fast integer processing and FPU, but looking forward things get somewhat more difficult. The Pentium 4 has abandoned much of its x87 FPU power in favour of Intel’s newer SSE-2 instructions, and where these are used (currently only SSE-1, but it is compatible) the Pentium 4 shows performance advantages. As the Athlon lacks SSE-2 (and the original SSE-1) in favour of AMD’s own 3dNow! instruction set, future applications may (please note that the emphasis is on the word may) not run as well on the Athlon. This though is by no means certain and the power of the Athlon’s x87 FPU may well be sufficient for some time.

hope his helps
again the chips have a run life as to when they will be discontinued so date of manf may be later as stock is cleared

Simsy 19:52 22 Aug 2007

Are you quoting that from somewhere?

If Athlons don't have SSE capability it seems that the advice given by serif is correct!

Regards,

Simsy

umbongo(uk) 20:10 22 Aug 2007

to check what a cpu has just go to the manufacturers web page like below find your product and it will give you a run down on what is inbuilt into it and revision ,thts them the number on the chips label,these are what overclockers go by when they want an overclockable chip

amd site
click here

MIke 20:17 22 Aug 2007

Try Everest click here

I have an AMD processor and as you see it supports SSE

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2250 MHz (11 x 205) 3700+

Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

umbongo(uk) 20:27 22 Aug 2007

no you have an amd athlon 64 proccesor the older athlon cored amd from when mmx ,3dnow and sse instution set were first introduced

there,s a big diffrence in when a chip is manufactured , as athlon xp had all of these as well but the xp suffix made it a diffrent class of cpu compared to the older
even as i type new variants are being produced
thus venice core manchester and so on

umbongo(uk) 20:28 22 Aug 2007

srry forgot a full stop in the first part

no you have an amd athlon 64 proccesor .the older athlon cored amd from when mmx ,3dnow and sse instruction set were first introduced were athlon !

Simsy 12:19 23 Aug 2007

I'll tick this as resolved now!

For the record, Serif were excellent, refunded no quibble, and told me to keep the software and pass it on to someone else!

That's be my son then!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?