athlon 64 vs athlon 64 duo

freakinmano 06:00 20 Feb 2007

just when your gameing what is the differance between a athlon 64 and a athlon 64 times 2 ,and they are the same ghz.

DrScott 08:36 20 Feb 2007

thing is the GHz as a faster clocked single CPU should work faster that a slower clocked duo CPU in games. Especially since most games aren't written for dual core processing.

However, you'll find your general work life quicker with a dual core CPU, as you can do multiple things within windows without the computer lagging too much. And on performance tests the dual core CPUs do seem to be generally faster.

In any case, single core athlons (I think) are only available on Socket 939 motherboards which is obsolete now. So if you're going to go for AM2 the go dual core.

i've had a lot of advice on this, currently have a 64 3500+, and was thinking of buying dualcore.
as all the games i run will not use or see the dualcore chip, ie, 5200x2 the games would still see the cpu as 1 2.2 gtz chip, so i was advised to stick with the single core as the pc is used pretty much purely for gaming and copes very well.
hope this makes sense
adam

mine is AM2 socket by the way, which is why i was thinking of upgrading

vinnyT 11:48 20 Feb 2007

adman 2, the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer download is supposed to cure this problem.

click here

DrScott 14:02 20 Feb 2007

I suspect more RAM or an upgraded graphics card would give you a bigger boost. Or you could be a better cooler and overclock you current CPU.

freakinmano 17:53 20 Feb 2007

thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone