Atec DVD's any thoughts?

michelleuk 22:30 19 Jan 2003
  michelleuk 22:30 19 Jan 2003

Hi,

My DVD player is dying, it clicks all the time and takes ages to read. As I need it to do my CD copying I phoned my local small PC shop and they have recomended an Atec DVD 16x speed £38. I haven't heard of them, does anyone have one and if so any comments? Thank you

Take Care
Michelle:-)
click here - my own site

Stuartli 23:01 19 Jan 2003

It's probably a rebranded version of another manufacturer's produce but, in any case, at £38 it's a bit overpriced these days.

You can buy floppy drives from Sony etc for around £7 to £8, CD-ROM drives for £15 and DVD-ROM drives from £25 to £30.

This is Atec's website:

click here

but you'll need to use AltaVista's translation facility to read it...:-)

rev.bem 23:08 19 Jan 2003

michelle is that atec or artec?

AMD 4 ever 23:09 19 Jan 2003

I have never heard of them.
Got to agree with Stuartl the £38 is a little top heavy, mind you to take into account if they are local then this could be a good thing, as if you have any probs then you wont have delivery charges etc.

michelleuk 18:25 20 Jan 2003

Hi,

The £38 includes fitting it, and sorry its artec! My error, I couldn't read my own handwriting, is 16 speed the norm these days? My small store is willing to order any brand I want and because I bought a lite-on CDRW I was going to buy the same in DVD.

The one I have at the moment is a pioneer (?sp) and it has only lasted 3 yrs, surely they should last longer than that. I will be using it to watch films and to use to play the CD my CDRW is copying.

What have you all got?

Thanks
Take Care

rev.bem 18:56 20 Jan 2003

Michelle bought one from Ebuyer

click here

Humms a bit when it spins up but is whisper quiet
when you watch a DVD
at £35.21 in p&p probably not worth fitting it yourself.

rickf 20:52 20 Jan 2003

You mean Artec. I have their cdrw and its very reliable so far. No complains. The writer was not recognised by ecdc when I first bought it, so I emailed them in the USA and got a reassuring reply.

rickf 20:53 20 Jan 2003

Much much cheaper at comp fairs. I forgot to add. Generally about £32.

michelleuk 00:38 21 Jan 2003

rickf,

What do you mean by "not recognised by ecdc"?

rev.bem

Thanks for the link, I may have to think about purchasing it myself and paying the £10 fitting as I daren't do that myself.

Is 16 x 48 the normal specifications these days? Should you buy a DVD of the same make as the CDRW. I mean I have a lite-on CDRW should I have the same name DVD player?

I have also heard the term region 2 what does this mean?

Thanks again
Take Care

Cordy13 00:53 21 Jan 2003

The world is split into Regions by Hollywood to protect their (intellectual) profits, UK is Region 2 North America is Region 1. Region coded DVDs will not work outside their region (unless you use a program like Region Killer etc.) using a region 1 disc in a region 2 player will normally lock the player to region 1 only after approx. 4 changes of region discs ie reg. 1, reg. 2 reg. 1 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?