Ollyolly 14:09 30 Jan 2004

I am looking to build my son a new PC. His present Gateway is 8 years old. If I select a motherboard and hard drive that both support an IDE interface of ATA133 will I need a new connecting cable or can I reuse his existing ribbon cable? I’m trying to save him spending too much of his paper round money!

  Gongoozler 14:31 30 Jan 2004

You can use the old cable. You only need to use a new cable if you want to get the full speed performance from the ATA133 drive, but your 8 year old Gateway won't support that anyway. The hard drive will work at the speed determined by the motherboard.

  Gongoozler 14:33 30 Jan 2004

I forgot to say that the Gateway will also have problems recognising a large hard drive, so you may need a PCI to IDE interface card.

  Gongoozler 14:41 30 Jan 2004

Sorry, I failed to read your posting properly. Yor new motherboard will almost certainly be supplied with an 80-way cable suitable for ATA133. I recently rebuilt a computer with an ASUS A7V8X-X. This came with an 80-way cable, and was very easy to set up click here.

I have also been pleased with the results from the Syntax (PC Chips) KT266 at only £22.32 inc VAT, although some people have had problems with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?