ATA, SATA, PATA, ????

AB's 11:48 26 Mar 2007

i Think i may have to buy a new hard drive see this thread click here what is the difference between ATA, SATA, PATA, though,and which do I need? also if i buy a 200gb hard drive will my comp be able to use it all? my current [broken]HDD is 20gb in 2 partitions of 10gb.

System spec
winxp pro
MB is Asus A7x
Processor is AMD Duron 1300mhz
512RAM

recap 15:06 26 Mar 2007

For differences between ATA, SATA & PATA click here

I think you would need to check how much HDD your motherboard can take.

AB's 18:57 26 Mar 2007

how do i find out what capacity HDD my motherboard will handle? been to asus site but couldnt find the info, having real trouble with my connection on this laptop as i have to find a hotspot, and keep losing my connection when i try to download the manual.

woodchip 19:19 26 Mar 2007

ATA is the oldest, Pata is faster or should be and SATA is a toataly new way of connection and faster that both the others. You can only fit the Drive that the Motherboard Supports Normal is a EIDE slot on the board that takes ATA, unless you buy a PCI card that will allow you to use Pata and or Sata. If it's a later Mobo then it may have other connections on the Mobo

woodchip 19:21 26 Mar 2007

Cross Posted, Why did you not say it was a Laptop first off. You need to download Belarc to see what the drive is in the Laptop click here

woodchip 19:23 26 Mar 2007

Did you try a Drive Test program as you other thread?

AB's 20:09 26 Mar 2007

its not a laptop! im using my laptop to use the forum its my tower that is compleatly DEAD !!
see click here

woodchip.... i dont see how i could do that as i cant get the tower to boot at all to be able to check it.

woodchip 20:18 26 Mar 2007

You do not need it to boot to windows it may boot to a floppy disc to test the drive with

AB's 20:31 26 Mar 2007

as i said in the other post i havnt got a floppy on my laptop to download the boot disc to, and none of my friends comps have floppys on them either, i dont think its poss to boot from usb drive is it?

woodchip 20:44 26 Mar 2007

Yes as It looks like it may be a fairly new comp with XP on it, It may boot. But then Again if you cannot get to the BIOS it will most likely not see the USB pen drive, without it's set in BIOS. You do have a Problem If you lived near I would have a look at it my self

woodchip 20:47 26 Mar 2007

PS the Drive would not stop you seeing the Dos Start Screen. You would also get a Message like None bootable drive or such

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone