Asus Z91FR, DC Jack replacement, but no service manual !

greybeard 13:04 27 May 2014

This is a bit of a long shot, but I'm faced with SWMBO's laptop with the common problem of the dc jack playing fast and loose. Unfortunately, I can't find online any help with the disassembly procedure for the Z91. A few other models, and a 'User/Hardware' manual, but they're no help here.

Someone may be able to link me to a source, or, failing that, would there be a 'generic' procedure for the order in which it would be sensible to remove items from any similar laptop ? For example - battery, then hdd, optical drive, wireless cards, ...etc. Regards all, John

onthelimit1 13:42 27 May 2014

The only one I know of is for the Z93. have a look and see if it's similar -

Service Manual

greybeard 14:38 27 May 2014

Hi onthelimit1, and thanks for posting.

That was the nearest that I too found, and I'll be using the list they give as a guide if nothing else turns up.

I have found comments that Asus are very reticent with there help, so I expect the worst !

greybeard 11:58 04 Jun 2014

Problem solved !

Being a tad nervous of destroying the laptop, I had a dry run, taking off the obvious units from underneath. First the battery, then the hdd, then wireless card and memory, then the optical drive, and finally the cover over the pcu and heat sink. I then could see the pins of the jack poking through the motherboard, though somewhat hidden by the heat sink. It was obvious that the solder round the pins was cracked, and wiggling the plug in the socket, I could see the slight movement that was producing the problem.

Removing the heat sink was straight forward, 4 screws, and it just needed a slight twist as it was slid out, to clear the plastic base, and I had clear access to the pins. My 30 watt soldering iron did the trick, and we're back in business.

So faced with another one, I'd just remove the battery, then the pcu cover and heat sink, and go for it - 7 screws in total. As it happened, the jack I bought off ebay had the pins in the wrong position compared with the original, so it was just as well I didn't need to replace it !

It's very clear that the continual load put on the jack, pushing the plug in, or having the power lead dragged sideways, will be too much load for the solder tabs to cope with, without some positive restraint. A crazy bit of design by the makers, but then what's new ?

John

bumpkin 12:21 04 Jun 2014

Good for you, I always think things are worth a try and very satisfying if one is successful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?